Create an Instant Framed Chalkboard with Black Card Stock…

Instant Chalkboard- Craft-DIY

DIY- Craft- Framed Chalkboard

Often times we make things harder than what they really are.  Sometimes the simplest solutions are right under our noses.  For a year now, I have been painting glass in frames for chalkboards, writing sweet quotes and giving them as gifts. It’s easy to do but it does take some time.

Last week, I needed to quickly write down a phone number and all I had was a stack of black card stock and a piece of chalk by my desk.  I didn’t think it would work but I was in a hurry and just did it without even thinking. I couldn’t believe it but the phone number was vibrantly written in chalk on the card stock, just like a chalkboard!

Chalkboard- Craft- How to Create a Framed Chalkboard

{Palm to forehead} Duh!! I could have been using black card stock this whole time for my chalkboard frames, gift tags, signs, note cards and who knows what else!  I felt like Dorothy realizing that I had the power to go home the whole time {I seriously need to get a life!}..

So here’s the deal, it works exactly like a chalkboard and it looks just like a chalkboard in a frame {use matte card stock, no linen lines}.  Even the chalk writing itself on the card stock looks just like it is written on a chalkboard:

Craft- Chalkboard- ow to create a framed chalkboard

Craft- Chalkboard- How to Create a Framed Chalkboard
The other good news is that you can erase to some degree but it works better with a very light damp cloth. The paper is thick enough that it dries just fine without buckling.

I have decided to use card stock instead of paint for my framed chalkboards for the holidays and I am sliding in three extra cut pieces of card stock {behind the first piece} for my friends to use. I just use the glass to trace my line on the card stock and then insert the card stock in front of the glass. This way, if friends want a fresh chalkboard or eventually want to use the frame for a picture, they will have the glass and extra cut card stock!

This also means that we can cut our own chalkboard gift tags for gifts instead of spending $3.99 for a set of 6!

Chalkboard Gift Tags- Craft- DIY

Craft- DIY- Chalkboard Gift Tags

Craft-DIY Chalkboard Gift Tags

We can also create a last minute fun note card by folding the card stock in half:

Craft- Chalkboard- DIY

and I can save time and use the card stock for my favorite year round gift project; framed chalkboards with quotes:

Craft- DIY-Chalkboard

Craft- DIY- Chalkboards

Craft-DIY- Create Chalkboards

Craft-DIY- Create Framed Chalkboards

The instructions are pretty self explanatory and the only thing you really need to know is that it’s important to get the matte card stock that has no linen lines.  I just went ahead and saved money by purchasing a large book of black card stock made by Colorbok.  By the way, if you want a really good chalk tip for writing pretty, just use a pencil sharpener and sharpen your chalk to a point:

Craft- DIY- Sharpen chalk

My mind has been churning with all of the ways that we can use this!  Just in time for the holidays Toto!! Let’s make a list in the comment section of all the uses that we can come up with!  So far I have thought of the things I mentioned about but I just know there is more fun stuff we can do!  Maybe wrap small presents?  Hmmm.. I know you guys have some great ideas to add!

If you have been following along with my “Room Revamp of the Month” {Master Bedroom}, I will be sharing an update on the progress on Monday!  It’s going a little slower than I had hoped but I will catch up next week!  I’m taking the day off tomorrow from Friday Favorites as I sneak away for a little beach time.  If you missed last week’s Friday Favorites “Favorite Sources for Inexpensive and Gorgeous Bedding“, you can follow the link by clicking the image below:

Sources for Bedding- Interior Design- Product Sources

Have a great weekend friends!

This entry was posted in blinged out frames, Crafts, Frames, Gift Ideas/Projects, Signs, Tutorials and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Create an Instant Framed Chalkboard with Black Card Stock…

1. Tory Myers says:

Wow! What an amazing discovery! I love reading your blog, so many useful tips! I think this would work great with small frames, I’m thinking place cards at thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. Or at a party to give food descriptions on food table. The possibilities are endless! Yay!

2. Mrs. Plank says:

Here’s another one that may or may not blow your mind :) But you can also use cardstock in other colors and it works the same way and looks the same. My personal preference is gray cardstock with black and white chalk. It creates a lot of depth and character :) You could do a lil’ sketch or embellish your favorite quote or scripture as a gift in the frame. If you want to preserve it you can spray it with aerosol hairspray and your chalk masterpiece will be preserved for all time :)
    Mrs. Plank recently posted..Exciting News!!!My Profile

3. Tara says:

Love this idea!! Perfect in time for the holidays. So many ways to use this idea! thanks!
    Tara recently posted..Moving…from our first homeMy Profile

4. Diane says:

This may sound crazy, but I can’t find chalk anywhere. I have found the big clunky sidewalk chalk like children play with. Where do you buy your chalk? And black chalk… wow, I would love that! I ♥ all the great ideas and the black (and other colors) card stock is just toooo fab Ü

I buy my chalk at Hobby Lobby, which is the craft store in my town. It’s in the section where they have bulletin boards and chalkboards. I have also discovered colored chalk pencils (including black) in the art section. I have also seen boxes of chalk in the kids paint and glue area. I just pick up the box of crayola chalk and sharpen it with a sharpener for a good point. I hope that helps Diane! Thank you so much for stopping by!

5. anita says:

I purchased a small box of white chalk in the stationary supply aisle at Walmart (Canada) for .99 cents. Surely they carry it in the U.S. as well. Thank you for the fabulous idea. I am going to try it with a large roll of black paper to fit in a larger frame.

6. Andrea says:

I can’t wait to try this! I have some frames that don’t have glass that I’ve been wanting to do something with. This will be perfect!

7. Miranda says:

Would there be any way to use the scraps of the sharpened chalk for anything?

8. Carrie says:

Thank you for a Christmas present idea. Going to thrift shop for frames to embellish.

9. Andrea says:

Check out the frames I made using this idea: http://www.everafterblueprint.com/2013/01/03/paint-free-chalkboard/
    Thanks for the tips!

10. Thanks for the great suggestion. I was Googling if you could use chalk on regular paper. I’m a portrait photographer and I wanted to set up a black and gray background against a wall and let couples take portraits and write cute messages for Valentines Day.
    I’ve got to test it out first. I need to see how easy that chalk will come off if I’ll be allowing multiple couples to write messages on the same piece of background paper.

Thanks again,

11. Hemi says:

Hi that’s a really beautiful idea! I’m going to use it for my reception!! Could you pls tell me where you found the cardstock, what brand and type?