DIY Garage Pegboard Storage Wall (Pegboard Possibilities)..

DIY Garage Pegboard Storage Wall Using Only 5.5 inches of Depth. Great for storing paint, tools and supplies. {The Creativity Exchange}

DIY Garage Pegboard Storage Wall. Cool Pegboard Storage Pieces. {The Creativity Exchange}

DIY Garage pegboard for tools, spray paint and supplies. Only need 5.5 inches for depth. {The Creativity Exchange}

I cannot even begin to tell you how excited I am about my garage pegboard storage wall that I just finished this week. This is another one of those projects that has been a very long time coming and something I wish I would have done years ago. I’m even more excited about this project because of the endless pegboard possibilities thanks to some of the latest pegboard hooks and accessories that I have discovered.

Over the years, I had never considered my garage as a  place for storage because our two cars take up all the space almost wall to wall.  I never dreamed it would be possible to eek out room to create enough space to store all of my paints, tools and little DIY stuff that I use. The minute I figured out that there was actually a way to do it, we went to town and built this pegboard storage wall using only 5.5 inches of depth! Halleluja!

Look at how narrow this is but how much it can hold:

DIY Garage Pegboard Storage Wall Using Only 5.5 Inches in Depth. {The Creativity Exchange}

As we were building my narrow mudroom wall that I shared a couple months ago, it occurred to me that I might be able to use the exact same design concept in my garage. But instead of the bead board, I could use pegboard:

Tutorial for making a built in mudroom for a narrow hallway (The Creativity Exchange)

narrow hallway mudroom (The Creativity Exchange)

Initially, I wasn’t sure that I would have enough room between the pegboard and my car door (when it was opened) but I measured and was so excited when I realized that I would have plenty of room to open the door (it’s that tight of a fit).  Keep in mind, as you look at this pegboard wall that this project could be used for almost anything like a craft wall, a wall of sports equipment or almost anything that you need to store and organize.

So today I’m going to show you the details of the peg storage pieces and basic layout and if you’re interested in the full tutorial, you can go to my post here with all of the measurements and details.

So just to give you a better idea, this piece measures 8′ x 11.2′ x 5.5″.  It will hold up to 96 cans of spray paint on the middle shelf (2 in depth) (I don’t have quite 96 but I’m closing in) and up to 34 gallon cans of paint on the floor! Music to my ears!   The frame sides and shelves were built on the floor and attached around the attached pegboard. (I will go into more details on Friday’s post on how we built the piece).

I haven’t done a pegboard in a long time and I have to tell you guys, I was so blown away with some of the cool and highly functional peg storage pieces that have come out.  It really made me realize that you could organize anything with a pegboard and a wall! Let me also tell you, Home Depot by far had the best selection that I could find. How awesome is this multi-purpose piece that I found at Home Depot.  As you can see, I’m using it for some of my smaller paint supplies:

Multi-Purpose Pegboard Storage Piece from Home Depot {The Creativity Exchange}

It has seriously a million different holes in different sizes and can be used for anything.  If you go to look for it, it’s actually gray and not white (I sprayed mine white because you know, I like spray paint)..

I also was so excited to fing that Home Depot had these perfect peg tool holders that are just right for all of my RYOBI tools:

Pegboard tool holder hooks from Home Depot {The Creativity Exchange}

Pegboard Power Tool Holders from Home Depot {The Creativity Exchange}

(My local Home Depot only had three of the power tool hooks, so you’ll notice that many of my tools do not have the awesome holders.  I will switch them out when I can get to another store).

They also had these awesome baskets and small hand tool holders that I’m using for screwdrivers, wrenches and pliers.  These pieces could be used for storing so many different things:

Pegboard Storage Pieces from Home Depot {The Creativity Exchange}

more baskets (they were gray and I spray painted them to match):

Pegboard baskets from Home Depot {The Creativity Exchange}

I also purchased a large box of misc. sized hooks and just used them throughout for different things.

I did purchase a few other things for my board that were not specific for pegboards because I figured out that you can pretty much use anything with a basic pegboard hook.  For instance,  I found these baskets at Tuesday Morning and loved them because they were deep and narrow and perfect for tossing things in them:

DIY Garage Pegboard Storage Wall {The Creativity Exchange}

If you look closely, you’ll see that all I did was just slide the basket over the hook and they lay flush and are perfect:

DIY Garage Pegboard Storage Wall using only 5.5 inches of Depth.  {The Creativity Exchange}

I did the exact same thing with these awesome storage bins from The Container Store that I found that have holes in the top back  (for hanging) that makes it perfect for slipping in the peg hook and they sit snug and flush (this way I can move them around):

DIY Garage Pegboard Storage Wall- The Creativity Exchange

Lastly, I also made a magnetic board for the middle of the board that I covered with vinyl fabric for notes, misc. small tools, and notepaper.  This is a super easy project that I’ll be sharing next week and you could use this anywhere:

DIY Garage Pegboard Storage Wall using only 5.5 Inches of Depth. {The Creativity Exchange}

So many pegboard possibility my friends!  I really had no idea that pegboards and they accessories had evolved this much.  Makes me look at other areas and other things that I can organize.  I hope my project gives you an idea of the pegboard possibilities in your own home.

Again, I’ll be back on Friday with all of the details and measurements of this piece.  Next week, I’ll share the magnetic board tutorial as well and some other little details.

Thanks for stopping by today friends!

sharing this post with: I party with Remodelaholic

This entry was posted in DIY, Garage Ideas, Organizational Ideas, storage. Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to DIY Garage Pegboard Storage Wall (Pegboard Possibilities)..

1. Bre says:

Oh my goodness – this is completely amazing. I cannot believe that I am envious of someone’s garage! Beautiful! I’m in the planning stages of a craft room overhaul, and you’ve given me reason to think about using peg board. Wow – so awesome!
    Bre recently posted..Easy DIY Children’s Art GalleryMy Profile

Thank you so much Bre! I am so thrilled to hear that my project has got you thinking about the possibilities. Yes, for sure take a look at pegboard and the accessories. The whole time I was doing this I was thinking how some of the accessories would be ideal for a craft space. You can also drill wall accessories to the pegboard if you can’t find something with a hook. Thanks for stopping by!
      Cyndy recently posted..DIY Garage Pegboard Storage Wall (Pegboard Possibilities)..My Profile

2. Wow, wow, wow! Beautiful! I can’t believe I’m calling a garage beautiful, but yours is! How nice to be able to find everything in one easy and organized area!
    Kim @ Sand & Sisal recently posted..Ceiling Fan Direction for Winter + TipsMy Profile

Thank you so much Kim! From one DIY’er to another, I cannot even begin to tell you how nice it is to finally have a spot for all that DIY little stuff. I wish I would have done this years ago and although it will never look this pretty and tidy again, everything will finally have a spot. Thank you girl and thank you for sharing on your Facebook page! It just made my morning when I saw it! xo

3. WOW! This is spectacular Cyndy! I’m blown away at how much storage you’re getting with that pegboard – phenomenal! And I love all of the storage options you used too. I have a peg board in my closet, which I love, and I might have to look into some of the great organizing choices out there. Not to mention look into expanding our garage pegboard… Are you in a 12 step program for your paint addiction? They say the first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem… ;-)
    Jenny@EvolutionofStyle recently posted..How to Stain Without Pain: The Breakfast BarMy Profile

4. Virginia says:

Great ideas here! This would never work in a garage in places where we get real winter weather as the sub freezing temps would wreak havoc on all the wonderful paint, but it certainly could work in a basement storage room. Thanks for the awesome ideas! May have to use some for my husband’s shop area, too!

5. Cyndy!!! That is fabulous!! Mine would have to be in the basement here in CO but wow you used that space so efficiently, you have my wheels spinning! I’m should be concentrating on my 2014 to-do list, and you already have my focus drifting to a new project!!
    Pam @ Simple Details recently posted..deal alert…My Profile

6. Amanda says:

oh my gosh!! This is fabulous!! do you know I have like two whole walls in my garage covered in peg board and I have NEVER used them! I have like 3 pegs holding stuff but never knew there were so many cool hanging gadgets available!!! thank you for the inspiration!
    Amanda recently posted..Designer for a Day SessionsMy Profile

7. Dena says:

Hello,
    I Love your Garage Makeover so much that I pinned it on Pinterest…I did supply your link here for credit and detail! Beautiful Job! I soo want to do this to mine this spring! You have inspired me!

8. Ruth says:

Wow this is fabulous! You are so creative! A true designer! We have white storage cabinets on both sides of our garage countertop areas with pegboard. I have never used them! Can wait to take a trip to Home Depot and see what they have. Thank you for sharing all of your wonderful ideas.

9. katie says:

Cindy–this is simply amazing. I can only dream that one day our garage will be this clean and organized! Great ideas and great way to stay organized!
    katie recently posted..{Video} How to Refinish an End Table with 3M DIYMy Profile

10. katherine shauger says:

Cyndy, love the pegboard storage in garage. Something we did a lot of in 50’s. If I can only get my husband on board to put up pegboard. Love the shelf for cans of paint. My 2 big boxes of paints would love a shelf. Know I could install myself. Men think garage is their domain. You are really creative, great job. Katherine in Portland.

11. Lynne E. says:

When I saw your peg board my heart fluttered!! I’ve been working on reorganizing my garage recently, and already have pegboard up, and you’ve given me some great ideas!

12. Emily says:

I am new to your blog & all I can say is WOW!!!!!! I absolutely love this project & can’t wait to modify it for my garage. It is amazing & you are incredibly creative!!! Can’t wait until tomorrow’s post :-)

13. I love this!! It is definitely on my list for the New Year…completely organizing our garage..and my supplies! Now I want to do it more than ever.
    Thanks for the inspiration! :)
    Nancy
    Nancy @ Artsy Chicks Rule recently posted..Antique Dresser Makeover {Stripped, Restained & Repainted}My Profile

14. Jenn says:

Ummm, this is absolutely AMAZING!!! I have been putting off organizing our garage but I am now totally inspired to do it! {of course, we will see how long that lasts!} Pinned and shared on my Facebook page. Looking forward to checking out the rest of your blog!
    Jenn
    Jenn recently posted..The Top Organization Projects of 2013!My Profile

15. The Funster says:

Cyndy,
    REALLY? This is absolutely amazing! I’ll bet you could eat off the floor of your garage! What a fantastic job. You have also stirred up in me a desire to get organized like this. Great inspiring post! thanks for the pictures and detail! You’re awesome!
    The Funster recently posted..Angry Birds Air Swimmers Review!My Profile

16. Cyndy this is so so cool!! What an amazing project and I love the size of it too. Great idea for a narrow space. You knocked this out of the park!!
    Megan @ Our PInteresting Family recently posted..Teacher Valentine Gift IdeaMy Profile

17. Okay, can I just say that I have fallen in love with you!! That garage storage wall made my heart go pitter patter, and I hope I can have something like it some day!!!
    And then you show your mudroom wall! I’m dying over here! I will be featuring both of these projects on my organizing blog!
    Thank you for the great inspiration!!!
    Traci

18. Are you kidding me?! This is what the internet was made for! Seriously, thank you for sharing! We’ve done this on a small scale for other garage areas but I never thought about using a whole wall on a narrow side, genius!

19. Oh my goodness…LOVE!! My garage is just a mess and this is so fabulous! Can not wait to follow how you did it all!
    Bonnie @ Uncommon Designs recently posted..Google Plus Link Party …Grow Your Google+ Circles!My Profile

20. Jenn says:

Absolutely the most organized garage I have EVER seen!!! Cyndy, you have inspired me beyond words – I am super excited to re-organize my basement workroom (maybe the garage over the summer, too)!! I am going to print out the pictures of your space (so I can tack them to the wall as inspiration) and then start my shopping list (for pegboard, hooks, and storage bins, and also for more power tools – lol)!! Thank you so much for sharing this!! ~Jenn

Thank you so much Jenn! I wish I could say it will stay this pretty but I’m not the tidiest DIY’er. At least everything will have a place now. Yes, this would be a great way to create a basement workroom (I so wish I had a basement!). Yes, you need more power tools and at the top of your list should be that new RYOBI Airstrike cordless stapler. I’m obsessed with it and it has a compressor built in and I have been busy stapling everything in sight. Best invention EVER! Thanks for stopping by girl!!
      Cyndy recently posted..Fun Projects for Kids to Paint and Give as Gifts {Paint It Monday}My Profile

• jenn says:

Cyndy – I have a few cordless RYOBI tools, so an Airstrike cordless stapler is just down my alley!! Brilliant suggestion and I will add that to the top of the shopping list!

In Western Wisconsin I would not get much done most of the year if it weren’t for a basement space. BTW – talked to my DH and he is 100% behind the re-org project you have inspired. Having a home for stuff solves 75% of the problem (the other 25% of the problem is finding time to put things away again – LOL!)

Thank you for being great and sharing with the world :D All my best! ~Jenn

21. Ooooh aaaaah! My house came with great storage in the garage (several white cabinets), but this makes me wish I didn’t so I could do this. haha Love it!
    Chrissy @ Adventures in DIY recently posted..Hall Bathroom RevealMy Profile

22. Katie B says:

I love love love it! I bet it makes you so happy to walk in your garage and see your awesome wall now!

23. Julie says:

This looks really great! As part of our ongoing project to build out more useful space in our garage, once we have the walls up for my husband’s recording/music room, I’ll get to start organizing the garage-facing side of that wall with all my tools. I love this narrow shelving. We already have pegboard out there so perhaps I’ll just be adding in some framing and shelving to accommodate my tools. This is really great, nice work!!
    Julie recently posted..A Room of My OwnMy Profile

24. This is amazing! I am pinning and sharing on Google +
    Desiree @ The36thAvenue recently posted..Slow Cooker Chili RecipeMy Profile

25. Shay says:

OMG, I need to be alone and smoke a cigarette (figuratively speaking). SO COOL. I have been trying to find the right pictures to help my loved ones understand what I have been dreaming of, and THIS IS IT. Made my day.

26. Lori C says:

I hate pegboard. We have it in the garage. Everytime I take something off a hook the hook falls off and I have to hunt around on the floor for it.

27. Trasetta says:

Who knew a garage could be beautiful. I am sooooo going to do this!

28. Chelsea says:

I am trying a similar project. What spray paint did you use on the baskets? I attempted to spray paint my baskets and it was a big mess. My can may not have been working properly. Any spray paint tips?

29. I’m in love and possibly drooling a little. I’ve been planning an office/craft room make over with the intention of using pegboard but it had never occurred to me that I might be able to store my tools as well…. not to mention the options.
    hmm… might have to make a trip down to home depot to assess the options, and maybe adjust/create the budget for the project.
    Thanks for the inspiration.
    Ricki

30. Lauren says:

This was so inspiring! Built one by myself this past weekend. Not quite as big as my garage is smaller but was amazed at how much I could fit! Still get giddy when I see it in the garage. Thanks for sharing!! And you’re right. Home Depot had better pegboard accessories. I still want to check out the container store for more.

Thanks!!
    Lauren

31. Shawna says:

I followed a link from Pinterest to your mud room and have been happily lost down the rabbit hole of you fabulous site for the last 1/2 hour! One question though – where is the tutorial on the magnetic board? I totally need something like that in my kitchen!
    Shawna recently posted..Red photography apple teacher gift – Apple photo – Tree of Knowledge – 8×10 – kitchen food photography by ShawnaCameronMy Profile

32. Wendy says:

Just stumbled on this through pinterest and I’m in love. Great job! Did you spray paint that pegboard? What color did you use?

33. Pingback: Garage Dreaming | Housebound in Marin