A School Gym Transformed with Amazing Creativity…

I cannot tell you how excited I am to share this next post with you.  This last Saturday, my daughter’s school gym was transformed in a really big way for “Bayou Bash”, St. Cyprian’s annual school  fundraiser.  Bayou Bash is a vintage New Orleans meets the bayou themed party:

party tent

Chalkboard SIgn, cajun party, vintage new orleans

Rustic Stage, Brian Harkness

Dessert Table

Vintage Seating Area

Party Tent, Ceiling Tent, Handmade Party Tent

My crafty neighbor Jane and several other teacher/parents transformed the gym in such a creatively spectacular way that I still {four days later}, simply cannot believe what my eyes saw!

What makes this even more amazing is that these ladies not only took their creativity to an unimaginable level, but they did it on an extremely limited budget {school fundraiser} and   used all recycled items for virtually all of the décor.

They used items like old newspapers:

Dessert Table

Dessert Table

Silent Auction table

They used old wooden boards that they attached and painted with chalkboard paint for signs:

Chalkboard sign, homemade chalkboard sign,

Chalkboard sign,  handmade chalkboard sign

Chalkboard sign

They used old quilts, drapes, burlap and kraft paper for tablecloths:

Burlap table cloth, newspaper flower

Silent auction table, burlap tablecloth

Newspaper flower

Newspaper flower, silent auction table

Newspaper flower

They also used some old pieces of furniture for a vintage seating area and throughout the decor:

Vintage Seating Area

Vintage Seating Area

Vintage Chair, vintage rice bag

Dessert Table

They also used old variegated tin that they found to create a stage for the awesome Brian Harkness and his band:

Rustic Stage, Brian Harkness
Party tent, Ceiling tent, handmade tent

The most amazing thing of all is that crafty Jane MADE the ceiling tent on her sewing machine!!

Party Tent

Ceiling tent, party tent, handmade tent

Ceiling tent, party tent, handmade tent

Can you believe that!!  She made that on her little sewing machine?  WOW!!  How she kept all the panels perfectly aligned is beyond me.  It really was a sight to see in person.

So who are these insanely creative ladies?

{left to right} Alicia, Bailey, Becky and Crafty Jane

Not only are these ladies super creative but they are four of the sweetest ladies you could ever meet!  It was truly was a joy for me to spend a little time watching them transform the gym through they week as they decorated.  What is even better is that throughout the week the children of the school came in and out of the gym as it was being transformed with this insane creativity.  What a wonderful message for the kid’s to see! Recycling, imagination and creativity can transform virtually anything!

While I focused on the decorating for this event for this post, there were also a lot of other amazing people who all collectively pulled this event together.  The event could not have happened without the teachers, staff and parents who also put in a lot of time and effort.  St. Cyprian’s staff member, Sheila Adams was the catalyst for helping to bring everyone and all of the ideas together for this great event.

There were so many other creative details that I did not mention.  As you look through the pictures, you will see so many little touches that were really unique and fun.

As I mentioned last week, I’m getting ready to start a new feature on Friday’s that will start this week.  I will have that post up first thing Friday morning.  I also have several other projects that I recently finished and hope to have those tutorials up next week as well!

Have a fantastic week!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to A School Gym Transformed with Amazing Creativity…

1. Megan says:

That is seriously amazing! What a transformation!! I love the use of newspaper, and that ceiling tent is out of this world. WOW! I wish I could have gone to this event. Megan

2. Cyndy says:

Isn’t it amazing! I still cannot believe what they did! It’s hard enough to be creative in a school gym but finding the creativity and only using recycled items to achieve this just really blows me away. Beyond special! Thanks Megan!

3. Oh my goodness! It looked amazing. What a great way to set the tone for what seemed like an amazing night! I love all of the details. Especially the newspaper pinwheel flowers. Ahmazing!!!

4. pamela says:

What a transformation! I love the theme. I went to elementary school at St. Cyprian’s in CA. It caught my eye because you don’t see that name very often. Ahhh…memories. Thanks for sharing!

5. Maureen says:

I am beyond amazed! This looks like a set for a film or tv show, not a school fundraiser! These ladies should be applauded for their talent and creativity. Thanks for sharing it with us!

6. Woah! I am speechless. Thanks for sharing it with us!

7. miranda varkadoz says:

Love, love, love it!!!!!! Ya’ll did an unbelievable job.

8. denise davis says:

Wow! Thank you so much for posting these pictures. I hate that I missed the party. What a wonderful testament to their creativity. Love that Jane!

9. Monica says:

That was so creative and hats off to the ladies that put this all together. Thank you Cyndy for sharing this on your blog…there are so many great ideas for reusing what we have and sites like yours help people like me to put those ideas to use!!

Thank you so much Monica! I’m thrilled that you are inspired by these awesome ideas and these ladies creativity. Thank you for your kind words, you made my night Monica!

10. Really amazing!! What a fabulous job!!

11. Cindy Patton says:

Do any of these creative ladies have a blog where they described the gym transformation? I would love to utilize some of their ideas for our small, private school that has many events in our gym. Thanks for sharing their handiwork~

12. Megan Walsh says:

Can you please hook me up with the amazing gal who sewed the canopy. We are planning our 8th grade graduation luncheon and I would love it if she would share with me her tutorial on how she did that. That would look better than draping plastic table runners off fish line like we are accustom to doing.
    Thanks

Hi Megan! I’m checking on your question and will get back with you!

• Eileen Deming says:

I would also love instructions on how to make that tent! I frequently am asked to help transform otherwise boring/ugly spaces, and that tent would be wonderful! Thank you!

13. Liat says:

Wow…you guys are awesome!! Where do I start to describe this awesomeness? I love the way the canopy looks with the twinkle lights…I adore the newspaper pinwheels (will have to start practicing how to do them as I can’t imagine they would come out as great as yours) and the whole general theme of the party with the message about recycling is perfect. If you would share any tutorials, in particular the canopy I would love to try and recreate for our school fundraiser…how fun – you’ve got me inspired! Thanks for sharing ladies!!

Hi Liat!

Thank you for your comments! I will be sure and share with the amazing ladies. It really is breathtaking in so many ways. I am still blown away by these ladies creativity! Thank you so much for stopping by and I will make sure the ladies see your sweet comments! Cheers! Cyndy

14. Ann says:

Can you tell me where you got the string globe lights? Need some for a big event!

Hi Ann!
      I talked with Jane and she said that they rented the big string globe lights from the local party rental. She suggested you contact a local party rental company. She also said that Target has smaller but nice globe string lights too. Good luck and thank you so much for stopping by!

15. Mariah says:

I am working on our school Fall Fundraiser…. Would Jane share how she made the canopy????