Hi guys!! It’s Claire from Claire Brody Designs back again to share another fun project.I realize as I’m typing this that I have shared quite a few Craigslist dresser revamps (okay, maybe just one) but it sure seems that I have been on top of these furniture makeovers lately! If you missed my coral Walmart dresser transformation, you can catch that here, or last month I shared my DIY statue lamps which were perched on top of another furniture makeover (although I didn’t share those details). I just painted that one. See that project here.
See what I mean? I’m popping out furniture makeovers over here. Cyndy must be rubbing off on me! That or buying brand new furniture is not a priority over here. 😉
Today I’m sharing a mid century modern dresser that I found on Craigslist for $75. If you have never checked out Craigslist for possible treasures, hopefully my post will inspire you to consider trash to treasure revamps with awesome finds from Craigslist. Mid century dressers sell for over $1,000 in perfect condition, so I knew I couldn’t pass on this deal. Here’s the before:
Not too bad? Or maybe you’re thinking, “oh… that’s bad.” I saw its potential even through the blurry Craigslist photo and made my husband make a 10:00 pm Craigslist run to pick it up before someone else snatched it. Normal occurrence over here..and one of us doesn’t think those late night runs are as fun as the other. I tell him it’s a great team *marriage* building activity. Thankfully, the late night Craigslist run was worth it!
Getting to this point was a bit more complicated than it should have been. It only required sanding, staining and adding legs, but it seemed way more than that. Our sanding disaster that was not funny at the time but is hilarious now set us back, but we recovered. I shared that story here. Long story short, we didn’t think it would be a problem to sand INSIDE OUR BEDROOM. I left for an hour while Parker was sanding and came back to a half inch of sawdust covering our room. In our defense, we were first time sanders and were definitely naive about what that baby can do.
You could of course use any sander, stain and legs that you’d like, but these are the specific supplies that we used to achieve this look. We sanded down to the raw wood, wiped the piece down (along with our entire room), and then applied a few coats of Minwax “English Chestnut” stain.
The dresser had legs at one time but the previous owner removed them. We wanted to keep costs as low as possible, so we purchased a 4 ft hardwood dowel (or a stick as I call it) and had it cut to (4) 12″ pieces. They do this for free at Home Depot. After the stain dried, we flipped the dresser over and attached the legs using heavy duty construction adhesive. We applied the glue to all parts of the leg that would touch the dresser which was the top and one side. We let the adhesive dry overnight and flipped the dresser over the next morning. I really wasn’t sure how the legs would turn out, but they are very sturdy and surprisingly look like they came as part of the original dresser!
I’m so excited about my new dresser and I hope that you’re inspired to do your own craigslist trash to treasure revamp project.
For more of my projects, I would love for you to come visit me at Claire Brody Designs here.
By the way, the detail shots in this post were taken by Chelsea Laine Francis.