A few years ago, I shared my favorite recipe for the easiest and yummiest sugared pecans. When I first tasted these pecans many years ago, I thought for sure that they were slow roasted for a day in some special cast iron kettle because they are seriously that good (and addicting)! When I found out they were made in a microwave for five minutes, I couldn’t believe it and had to make the recipe myself. I was amazed that it worked and have been making them every fall for about 15 years.
***I have received emails that people are having a hard time finding good pecans and I wanted to update this post and mention that you can order a 2 lb bag on Amazon here of the best pecans out there from Kirkland Signature. These are the #1 selling pecans on Amazon****
Today, I am re-sharing the recipe because I have tweaked them over the years and I also now make them three different ways (plain sugared, cinnamon and spicy). These pecans are always the one thing that I have to make each year and I crave them. I also made a pretty free printable gift tag for all your homemade fall gift goodies.
Ok, first, let me share the printable Happy Fall gift tag for your baked goodies:
The printable gift tag comes on a standard 8.5″ x 11″ page and it has 6 tags for you to cut out on each page. It’s best to use white smooth card stock (no linen lines) and you must have Adobe Reader installed on your computer to print the sheets. If you do not have Adobe, you can download it here free (you need this for most printables).
The link for you to print the tags are the blue hyperlink that says Free Printable Happy Fall Tags directly below the next image of how the tags will look when you print them:
Next, you’ll find the recipe:
2 Cups pecans
1/2 Cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 Tablespoons orange juice (be sure and shake orange juice so its not watery)
1 Tablespoon butter (for buttering bowl)
(For cinnamon pecans, add 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon. For spicy cinnamon pecans, add 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon).
1) Begin by buttering a microwave safe dish. After much trial and error, I found that a 9″ glass pie pyrex pan is perfect because it’s not too deep and too shallow.
2) Mix brown sugar with orange juice and pecans. Mix for several minutes so that every pecan is coated.
3) Put mix in dish and microwave on high for 4-6 minutes (depending on how strong your microwave is) and stir every 2 minutes! (My microwave is 1100 watts and I set my microwave exactly for 5 minutes 40 seconds and I stir every two minutes). If you know your microwave is less or more than mine, you can adjust give or take 20 seconds.
The sugar needs to boil but there is a fine line between boiling and burning the pecans, which is why it’s necessary to stir every 2 minutes and watch carefully. When you are done, you should see the pecans beginning to crystalize or get sandy. If your pecans are not getting sandy, you may need to add and addition 15-20 seconds.
4) When the microwave is done, immediately pour pecans onto buttered tin foil and spread evenly.
5) Allow to completely cool (about 2 hours). Pecans will not taste crispy and good until they completely cool down and fully crystalize. Don’t panic if they taste rubbery when you first take them out, the magic happens after about an hour.
Store in air tight bags or containers.
I hope you guys give this a try because they are so wonderful!
By the way, last year I also shared a different Happy Fall printable along with my recipe for Sweet and Salty Fall Snack Mix that you can find here (so good too!!):
Happy Fall friends!!
***Amazon Affiliate links used in this post***