DIY Oversized Trays Using Plywood Boards

Tutorial for making oversized trays with plywood boards.  You can paint or cover in wallpaper and add cabinet hardware.  The Creativity Exchange DIY Oversized Tray Using Plywood Board and Cabinet Hardware.  The Creativity Exchange

Tutorial for making oversized long trays with plywood boards and cabinet hardware.  The Creativity Exchange

I had a palm to the forehead moment last week when I was looking at all of the scrap wood left over from my projects in the garage.  For some reason, the way the wood and boards of various sizes were laying up against the garage wall, they all looked like oversized trays to me.  I was thinking; is it really as simple as painting or covering a board with wallpaper and adding cabinet hardware?  I couldn’t make the tray fast enough just to see and the answer is yes, it’s really that simple.

This is one of those projects that there are tons of endless possibilities (paint, wallpaper, stripes, patterns, etc..) and any size or shape could work.  I really wanted an elegant oversized tray for entertaining and for my dining room table, so I decided to cover this tray with wallpaper and distress the wallpaper to look like painted wood. Here is the tray on my dining room table with flowers that I shared on Tuesday:

Use glass vases and candle holders in various sizes for summer clippings. The Creativity Exchange   DIY oversized tray using plywood board and cabinet hardware.  So Easy!  The Creativity Exchange

There are so many possibilities and any kind of wood in any size or shape could work.  Also, for today’s project, I’m going to share how I covered the wood in wallpaper and distressed it to look like painted wood.  However, these trays would be beautiful simply painted in a solid color and could even be spray painted.

So I began this project by using a piece of white pine board (1 x 12″)  that had already been primed.  The length of it is 42 “:

Tutorial for creating oversized trays using scrap wood. The Creativity Exchange

For covering with wallpaper, the board needs to be primed on one side so the wallpaper paste doesn’t absorb into the wood. The wallpaper that I used was not pre-pasted, so I brushed on a generous layer of wallpaper paste on the top of the board and the sides:

Tutorial for making oversized trays out of plywood boards and scrap wood.  So Easy!  The Creativity Exchange   Tutorial for making oversized trays using scrap wood. The Creativity Exchange

I then covered the board with wallpaper and pulled it down over all sides and cut.  I made sure to leave an extra 2 inches, so that the paper would fold up and under the board:

Tutorial for making oversized trays out of plywood boards. The Creativity Exchange

Next, I used a wallpaper spreader/smoother tool to make sure that the wallpaper was as smooth as possible:

Tutorial for making oversized trays using plywood boards and cabinet hardware.  So Easy.  The Creativity Exchange

I didn’t want a folded corner, so I cut the corners like this, so I would not have thick paper in the corners:

Tutorial for making oversized trays using plywood board and cabinet hardware.  The Creativity Exchange

I then let the wallpaper completely dry overnight and then I did a strie paint treatment the next morning over the wallpaper.  A strie treatment is where you dip a brush in paint and hold the brush flat and drag (I prefer a wide foam brush).  I did this so it would look more like a painted tray instead of wallpaper.  The paint over the top takes the edge off of the paper look as well.

I used the color Minimalist (white) in Velvet Finishes:

Tutorial for making oversized trays with plywood boards and cabinet hardware.  The Creativity Exchange

After it dried, this is what the board looks like:

Lastly, I added cabinet pulls/hardware to the ends of the board:

DIY oversized tray using plywood board and cabinet hardware. So Easy! The Creativity Exchange

The wallpaper and tray can be sealed with a matte satin polyurethane for use with food or drinks.

I can’t wait to make another one but my next one I’m going to spray paint in a high gloss fun color.  I also want to do a large square one as well out of MDF.  So many possibilities and I’m thinking that this will be what I’ll do for family Christmas presents this year.  Would be so fun to monogram or paint a fun pattern.

Thanks for stopping by today friends!  Have a fantastic weekend!

Sharing post with Best of the Nest Party

This entry was posted in DIY, Entertaining Ideas, Paint Techniques, Velvet Finishes Paint and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to DIY Oversized Trays Using Plywood Boards

1. Ralinn says:

Great idea. I have a scrap piece I am going to try this on. I am going to go with a live edge. Thanks for the idea.

2. Jo Abella says:

So clever. From your previous posts, you’ve hooked me on Velvet Finishes. Can’t wait to try this latest idea. Thanks!

3. This turned out great!! Can’t wait to try it on some scrap wood currently in my garage. I knew I was keeping it for some reason! ;) Do you mind sharing what pattern of wall paper you used?

4. VickiGene says:

Cyndy, I love that tray! Did you add little stick-on feet to the bottom to protect your furniture? If you had pieces of molding, that would be pretty around the sides just in case you are carrying it from one room to another and items start slipping. This looks like a great project to try different painting techniques. I think a Jackson Pollock style would be fun!

I didn’t use feet on the bottom but I will on my next one. Yes, there are so many possibilities and my mind keeps coming up with new possibilities. I love the idea of the edge banding to keep the edges smooth too that you mentioned. Yes,a lip could be made as well and I was also thinking I could make my own handles somehow. I can’t wait to make more of these for family gifts for the holidays.

Thanks so much Vicki Gene for always throwing out such great ideas! We would be dangerous if we lived close to each other! ha!
      Cyndy recently posted..DIY Oversized Trays Using Plywood BoardsMy Profile

5. Amy says:

how about grouping some photos and sealing them to the tray…for grandparents etc….love this idea thank you so much!

6. Carolyn says:

I love the painting in your dining room! Can you tell me more about it? Thanks!

7. Nanette mattox says:

Nice idea! I’m always shocked at the cost of trays in stores. I’m thinking of using pretty wrapping paper and modgepodge.

8. What a great project!
    Lauren@SimplyLKJ recently posted..What for Dinner Wednesdays~My Profile

9. Pingback: Decorating Round up - Did Ya See This?Decorated Life

10. Mary Ruth says:

Great use for left over wood! If you want to paint, you can use the iron-on edge banding. If you want to make an edge or sides, they sell flexible PVC-like molding you can tack around the edges. And for feet, possibilities are many! Love seeing how creative you get! AND you share with all of us! Thanks!

11. VickiGene says:

Cyndy, you would be a “dream neighbor”!
    Holiday trays would be such wonderful keepsakes and a great place to individually personalize. I save all those “photo” cards each year. I’m might use some of those, pretty cards (sentiments incl.) or gift wrap.
    Also, I just had an idea about handles. To make the trays easy to store, put the handles on the sides of the ends (or would this cause a problem with possibility damaging the surfaces?).
    Oh dear! I’m trying to finish organizing my sewing/quilting “studio” and already I’m thinking “autumn tray.” ;-)

12. They both came out so great. I love that you added wallpaper to one of them especially. This would be a pretty hostess gift too.
    Megan @ Our PInteresting Family recently posted..Growth ChartMy Profile

13. I love this idea Cyndy! I can’t wait to make one. Yours turned out so lovely! Wish I was sitting with you at the pool, nibbling those yummy appetizers too!
    Kim @ Sand & Sisal recently posted..Weekend Paint ProjectsMy Profile

14. Fabulous, Cyndy!! I LOVE the size, and what a perfect idea for Christmas gifts, I might be stealing that one! Your styling out on your patio couldn’t be more perfect! Thanks for sharing at Best of the Nest!

15. LOVE this idea Cyndy! There are so many fun possibilities!!
    Kris {Driven by Decor} recently posted..Best of the Nest July Link Party FeaturesMy Profile

16. I love this idea! I have lots of mdf in my garage – I can’t wait to make a tray for back porch entertaining! Thanks for the inspiration!
    Shelia @ House of Highlands recently posted..Eating Along the Emerald CoastMy Profile

17. Shelly says:

Can you show us the bottom so we can see how you covered this and how the pulls are attached?

Thanks!