Potting Bench Turned Outdoor Bar

Inexpensive potting bench turned into an outdoor bar and beverage station for entertaining. The Creativity Exchange

Summer is just around the corner and we’ve been busy cleaning our patio and backyard, replacing patio cushions, planting bright flowers and getting summer ready.  We love to grill and entertain during the summer and I was really hoping to find some sort of outdoor bar that I could use for serving beverages and appetizers.  I haven’t been able to find anything even close to what I had in mind, so when I stumbled across this potting bench for $111.00 at World Market, I thought why not?

Potting Bench, Outdoor Bar, Gardening Bench

If it wasn’t for the sink in this piece, I don’t think it would have even occurred to me to convert this piece into a bar.   Many of the potting benches on the market have a sink or at least a bucket that is absolutely perfect for ice:

Outdoor Bar, Potting Bench, Garden Bench

When it’s really hot outside, I plan on placing a large frozen plastic blue cooler block in the base of the bucket (below the ice) to keep the ice cold.

We added several hardware pieces to the potting bench to make it the piece even more convenient for us.  We added a standard towel bar to the front of the bench for towels:

Potting Bench, Outdoor Bar, Garden Bench

Potting Bench, Outdoor Bar, Garden Bench

We also added 3-sided channel trim that we picked up at Lowe’s for $4.00 to create a spot to hang glasses just below the top shelf:

Potting Bench, Outdoor Bar, Garden Bench

Potting Bench, Outdoor Bar, Garden Bench

We even added a bottle opener to front of the bench as well:

Bottle Opener, Outdoor Bar

The little hooks that came with the bench are perfect for storing bar accessories:

Bar Accessories, Outdoor Bar

The top shelf is great for bottles, drinks and extra cups:

Potting Bench, Outdoor Bar

If you’re looking for an outdoor bar or a food serving bar, a potting bench is the perfect solution and you can pretty much add anything to it to really customize it for whatever you need.  If you’re looking for something with more space, think about two of them together!  I have already ordered a second one from World Market that I’m going to use for food.
You can find potting benches pretty much everywhere right now and I found these below online including the first one from World Market that I purchased (click on picture for the link to the item):

Potting Bench at World Market is $111.00

Potting Bench, Gardening Bench

Source: World Market

Target $169.00:

Potting Bench, Gardening Bench

Source: Target

Woodland Direct for $273.00:

Potting Bench, Gardening Bench,

Source: Woodland Direct

Home Depot Potting Bench for $289.00:

Potting Bench, Gardening Bench, Home Depot Potting Bench

Source: Home Depot

So many fun possibilities with these benches besides gardening.

Have a wonderful week friends and I’ll be back on Friday morning with more outdoor inspiration for us on Friday Favorites.

Sharing this post with:

TDC Before and After

shabby creek cottageThe Shabby NestFunky Junk's Sat Nite Special UndertheTableandDreaming

This entry was posted in DIY, Do It Yourself Projects, Furniture Revamps, Outdoor Projects, Tutorials and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

58 Responses to Potting Bench Turned Outdoor Bar

1. Amanda Eck says:

Seriously!?? this is awesome! I would have never thought of that. Now I need to come over for drinks ;-)

2. Cyndy says:

Thanks Amanda! Girl, c’mon anytime! Hugs!!

3. I my gosh, this is awesome Cyndy!

4. Jessica S. says:

Wow, this is amazing! Totally have to get my husband on board (won’t be hard, with your lovely pictures!) in time for summer entertaining! Found you through Diane of In My Own Style. Love your blog!

5. Olive says:

Brilliant. It looks expensive, well thought out and pretty with the blues and brown.

6. What a cool idea and cool project! I keep thinking I want a potting bench, but who am I kidding? I’m a plant killer. Now a bar cart. I can drink. I can keep those beverages cold. That I can do!

I’m pinning on my Spring Into the Dream Pinterest board a Screen Porch inspiration …

Linda

Linda, you sound like me! HA! That was about the same thought process I had! I cannot keep much alive but I can mix a mean cocktail!! Thanks Linda!

7. Judy says:

Wow, great idea to use the bench as a bar. Looks great.

8. i think this is sooo gorgeous with the blues, and such a smart idea!

9. Shanee says:

I love this! I think I feel a project (yet another one) in my future or should I say Hubby’s future! lol Thanks for sharing. Visiting from Savvy Southern Style.

10. Jen says:

Genius!!! Love this idea!

11. This is about the cutest thing I have ever seen. I am running to World Market down the street to hopefully get one myself. Thank you so much for sharing this idea. I’m stopping by from Wow Us Wednesday and I’m your newest follower.

12. I just saw this bench and was thinking about getting it and then bam I see your post : ) It looks beautiful, like out of a catalog! Guess I need to go back and bring it home with me! Drinks are on you ? haha

13. Totally fun! I’m working on a potting bench update, we really use it for beverages not potting – your added details are perfect!

14. What a PERFECT repurpose! The sink is such a wonderful touch! I want one. :) Your outdoor area is so pretty!

Just had to share it on FJI Facebook and Pinterest for SNS 134. :)

Donna

15. Micki says:

I love this idea! I am always looking for ways to make entertaining easier. I have an old waterbed frame and headboard that I have planned to turn into a potting bench and this would be perfect for it! Thank you for sharing this idea!

16. jen says:

This is absolutely brilliant! I love the way it turned out. It looks as though it was meant to be. I am your newest follower! Great job!!

17. kim says:

What a fabulous idea for a potting bench. I love it and love the whole area with all those wonderful colors. Thanks for sharing at Wow.

18. Dina says:

Wow, This is brilliant! I found you on Pintrest!! I showed my husband how cute this was and he agreed that it’s a sweet idea and super creative. We looked up the potting bench and it’s currently on sale at Cost Plus for $83. Guess what I’m getting for my birthday tomorrow?

Thanks again.

19. I just saw this amazing idea at Kim’s blog and had to come straight over to check it out! This is such a brilliant idea. I’m going to see if we can do something like this at our place. Thanks for sharing your fabulous idea!

Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

20. Zuni says:

Cindy – this turned out great! Thanks for the tip. World Market, here we come!! And thanks for the tips on all your additions to it. Your newest follower; I invite you to visit and follow back. ~Zuni

21. Denise says:

Oh I am green with envy! :) I have been wanting to do one of these for a long time! Well done!

Thank you Denise! I have been needing one myself for a long time and it has worked out great! Thank you so much for stopping by! Cheers!

22. Bliss says:

Stopping over from your feature at Savvy Southern Style to say hello and pin your most excellent bar.

~Bliss~

23. Anne says:

This is brilliant. I love it!!!
    Beautiful dear friend!!

24. Laura says:

Loved this idea so much that I had to make one. I just received my World Market potting bench that I ordered… which was on sale! I put it together yesterday and will be adding the “extras” today. Thank you Cyndy!

What a sweet message Laura!! You made my day and I am thrilled that you could use the idea. You will love it and I have already used mine for two different gatherings and it really made things so much easier! Thank you so much for taking the time to send me a note!

25. This is awesome! I posted the same bench this week…and we added a bottle opener and hook, too! I love how you’ve styled it, you’re going to get so much use from it this summer. Here’s our version: http://hisugarplum.blogspot.com/2012/05/potting-or-party-this-bench-is-busy.html

26. Oh my gosh, I have the exact same potting bench from World Market and I’m using it for a — wait for it — a potting bench. So boring. I’m pinning this post so I can remember it for the future.

27. Carmel says:

This is the best thing I have ever seen for a long time. I’m totally going to do this and put in our screened room. It’s PERFECT for us since we love hosting parties and entertain our friends with drinks. This is truly perfect! Now am on hunt for garden bench. Thank you for the inspiration. You rocks!

28. Maura says:

This is genious. Thanks for the idea. Love the blue and green colors you chose too.

29. Such a great idea! I think your place may be the summer hang out!

30. Love it! I so need an outdoor bar. :)

Stopping by from the Outdoor Extravaganza. :)

31. Megan Sweeney says:

I was searching the internet for this very thing and stumbled on your blog. Love! Thank you for the inspiration. The is one potting bench left at World Market in the entire bay area and my husband is picking it up as a birthday present right now. I can’t wait to get started!

That is awesome Megan that you got the last one! It was meant to be girl! Happy Birthday and thank you so much for stopping by and I am thrilled you are inspired and I know you will love it!

32. Kidchileen says:

I love the multifunctional use! I’m going to buy one tomorrow. I love the colors you used too! Where did you get the beverage tub?

33. I love how creative this idea is, it’s as if it was always meant to be an outdoor bar. I especially like the colors and details you have added. I only wish I would have found your post last summer, before I got rid of a potting bench I had not used in a few years. It was almost exactly like this one,just needed a new coat of stain(or left weathered) and some fastening of loose wooden slats, but It would have been a perfect addition poolside. I am hoping that whoever picked it up from our curb was lucky enough to find your post in time. I have pinned this and shared on my Facebook page! Thanks!
    Bridget from Refined Vintage recently posted..Vintage Ice Bucket,Teak cover, Mod, Signed Georges BriardMy Profile

34. Katie says:

What a great idea! Can you tell me where you found the wall mount bottle opener? Thanks!

35. Katie says:

I’ve been eyeing this bench for a while now with similar intentions. I just want to say that the way you styled it couldn’t possibly be more charming. If I wasn’t already sold I sure am now!

36. Theresa says:

Guess what???
    This piece is now on sale at World Market for $30.00. That’s right, $30 bucks. Unbelievable!!!!!! How can you go wrong now at that price.
    Fantastic idea.

37. ryan says:

What a great idea! The final result really looks good.

38. Lori-Ann says:

I just bought this bench from World Market because of you! I’ve been looking for an outdoor console table for my patio, but this is 1,000 times more creative. Thank you for the idea!

39. Kimani says:

I’ve been stalking this DIY for over a year. I finally bought the potting bench from World Market and put it together yesterday. I’m so excited to have cocktails with my friends from my new outdoor bar. Thanks for the inspiration!

40. Pingback: Outdoor Entertaining and Decorating: Favorite Tricks