For years now, I have been making this salad in the summer that was inspired by a trip to La Jolla, California. The first time I went to La Jolla (just up the coast from San Diego), was about 15 years ago. I had a salad at a restaurant called George’s at the Cove, sitting out on the most beautiful terrace that was overlooking the water. I found this picture taken right about where I sat at George’s:
The salad I had was pretty close to the recipe I’m sharing today but the times that I have been back to George’s, the salad is no longer on the menu (that was 15 years ago). However, every time I go back, the food is always amazing and if you ever find yourself in La Jolla, you have got to stop by George’s on eat on the terrace!
I never remembered the exact name of the salad, so I just call it the La Jolla brie salad. The original salad at the restaurant was; baby spinach, sweet tomatoes, apples and pecans mixed with diced brie. However, I add bacon (of course!) and switched out the apples for strawberries and I love it with sugared walnuts or pecans (versus just plain).
For several years, I made a homemade balsamic dressing with sesame oil and then I found this LiteHouse Sesame Ginger dressing that is better than what I was making and closer to the dressing in the original salad:
So now I use the LiteHouse dressing. I also sometimes use the LiteHouse Balsamic as well!
So here is the recipe:
La Jolla Brie and Chicken Salad
Serves about 4 for Full Meal Size Servings (6-8 as a side salad)
8-10 oz. Container/Package of Baby Spinach Leaves
1-1/2 Cup Sliced Strawberries
7 oz. Brie Round Diced with Rind Cut Off (make sure brie is really cold before cutting- small bites)
1-1/2 Cup Sliced Small Orange Sweet Tomatoes (sliced in half)
1 Cup Walnuts or Pecans either Plan or Sugared
10 Slices of Cooked Bacon Crumbled
2 Cups Shredded Rotisserie Chicken (or boiled chicken breast)
1 Cup Lighthouse Sesame Ginger Dressing
Wash baby spinach leaves and pat dry with paper towels. Toss all ingredients together except the dressing and chicken. When ready to serve, toss in dressing and add shredded chicken to the top of each individual serving.
I hope you give this salad a try because it really is so good and it’s easy, especially in the summer when it’s so hot. This is also a big salad that I like to make when I have to bring something to a party or gathering and I toss everything right before serving.
Thanks for stopping by friends and if you’re interested in looking through some of our other favorite summer salad recipes, you can click on the link below to a round up post that I did last year with all of our favorites in one place:
- 8-10 oz. Container/Package of Baby Spinach Leaves
- ½ Cup Sliced Strawberries
- 7 oz. Brie Round Diced with Rind Cut Off
- ½ Cup Sliced Small Orange Sweet Tomatoes sliced in half
- 1 Cup Walnuts or Pecans either Plain or Sugared
- 10 Slices Cooked Bacon Crumbled
- 2 Cups Shredded Rotisserie Chicken
- 1 Cup Sesame Ginger Dressing Lighthouse recommended
- Wash baby spinach leaves and pat dry with paper towels.
- Toss all ingredients together except the dressing and chicken.
- When ready to serve, toss in dressing and add shredded chicken to the top of each individual serving.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Make sure brie is really cold before cutting into small bites
- You can use any brand of sesame ginger dressing but I recommend Litehouse brand
- Rotisserie chicken makes this recipe so quick and easy but feel free to use boiled chicken breast as well