Hey all! Melissa here today with a chocolatey summer treat idea that will be sure to quench your summer tooth! With summer parties in full swing, what better way to switch up the usual popsicle treat than with a potassium-filled banana on a stick. I have a tendency to turn healthy fruits into delectable treats, and these chocolate dipped banana pops are no exception.
I had some leftover chocolate melting wafers from Valentines Day truffles, so I figured I would try to use them up before the half-full bag disappeared into the black hole of my pantry. They melt easily in the microwave and then harden quickly after dipping, which makes them great for projects like this.
After cutting the bananas in thirds, I popped a green straw into each one, put them on a (wax paper covered) baking sheet, and popped them into the freezer for about 20 minutes. This allowed them to harden, so that the paper straw didn’t slip out when dipping. After chilling, it’s as simple as melting the chocolate wafers and dipping each banana pop into the bowl!
And if you want to add some extra color & crunch, chop up some candy or sprinkles and top right after dipping. The chocolate will harden pretty quickly, so if you’re using any kind of topping, act fast or forever hold your peace.
Chocolate Dipped Banana Pops
3 bananas (cut into thirds)
3/4 cup chocolate wafers (I used Dark Ghirardelli Candy Making & Dipping Wafers)
Paper Straws or Popsicle Sticks
Optional: Sprinkles or Sixlets to top
1. Cut each banana in thirds and place on a wax paper covered baking tray.
2. Cut each paper straw in half and push into the ends of each banana. Place in freezer for 20 minutes to harden.
3. Pour the chocolate wafers in a shallow microwave-safe bowl and melt according to instructions on package. This usually takes 1-2 minutes.
4. Remove the bananas from the freezer and carefully dip/roll each pop into the chocolate. Once covered, place each pop back on the wax paper and sprinkle with chocolate candy or sprinkles. (The chocolate will set quickly, so be sure to add toppings right away!)
5. Enjoy frozen or allow to sit out at room temp before eating!
Makes 9 Pops
So what are you waiting for? These banana pops are sure to please all ages and would make for a fun summer barbecue dessert!
Megan @ Our Pinteresting Family says
These look delicious. I like that you used a paper straw with them too. Great idea.