My $50.00 Front Porch Revamp Challenge…

I have had it with the insane Texas heat this summer… It’s been brutal and I am so ready for cooler fall days so we can actually go outside for longer than five minutes without getting heat stroke.

In my eagerness for fall, I decided to revamp my front porch for cooler days that should be arriving soon. Instead of throwing away money buying new planters and porch accessories like I do every year, I challenged myself to revamp my porch under $50.00 and use pieces that I already had.

When I started my porch revamp last week, this is how pitiful my porch looked:

Pretty sad, huh? The porch really needed some TLC.

The first thing I did was to find a rug that would be my inspiration color palette. I ran to Lowe’s and found this gorgeous indigo and brown stripped rug for $24.00:

The rug set the tone for my decision on paint colors for the rest of the project and I headed straight to my old trusty porch bench. The bench was one of the best investments I have ever made.

I bought it at Hobby Lobby about six years ago for $150.00 and I add a fresh new coat of paint every year and it always ends up looking like new:

Every year, I just wash down the bench with hot soap and water, lightly sand and paint using a satin Rust-oleum spray paint. I don’t even prime it and always turns out great. This year I wanted to match the dark brown color in the rug and I ended up using the color espresso. I already had all of the pillows in my storage closet (yes, I have a pillow fetish) and the monogrammed pillow was a previous project that I posted last year here.

The next thing I did was to go behind my house to my old planter cemetery. This is the hidden place where I lay to rest all of my old outdoor planters, patio pieces and decorative odds and ends for outside. It’s not pretty I tell ya!

I really put stuff back there hoping my husband will get the message and take these things to the dump, but thank goodness he apparently doesn’t notice, leaving me with the ultimate revamp challenge.

Up until now, it never occurred to me to try and revamp old and tired fiberglass planters. The thought of spray painting a planter sounds like it would look like a yucky spray painted planter, right? Some things should just not be spray painted, at least that’s what I thought.

I found an old matching pair of fiberglass planters back in my planter cemetery:

These planters must be at least 6-8 years old. I cleaned them up good with soap and water and then spray primed them with Rust-oleum primer and let them dry a good two hours. After the primer dried, I used my new favorite spray paint color, Valspar Indigo (#65029) in satin (I didn’t want them shiny looking like a glossy spray paint). I sprayed them with two coats of paint (I allowed them to dry in between layers). I was thrilled with the results and this color is so pretty:

Not bad for spray paint!

I did the same thing to this hideous planter that I have had for more than 15 years! It looked like my dog chewed on it as well. It was in really bad shape, I honestly wasn’t sure if I could transform it:

Because this planter was so worn and the top layer of the fiberglass was wearing off, I sprayed it with three coats of primer and let it dry for two hours. I then sprayed it twice with Rust-oleum Almond(#7758) in a satin and I was pretty amazed at how great it looked when I was finished, like new. The worn out areas of the planter turned out to really look fantastic with the new coat of paint, giving the planter an aged look:

The last transformation that I did was this fabulous old cast iron tall candlestick that I bought about 15 years ago at a junk yard for $10.00. I have never found a spot for it and it also just sat back in the planter cemetery. I decided to go ahead and paint it too. Not sure if I’ll ever need candle light on the porch but why not right?

Here is what it looked like before I painted it:

I found that Rust-oleum makes an amazing old metal spray primer, so I sprayed two coats of the primer and let it dry. I then sprayed two coats of the Valspar Indigo satin and after it dried, I lightly sanded it with fine steel wool to dull up the shine even more. I added a candle and a glass hurricane and it turned out better than I could imagine:

Also hiding out back was this gorgeous, aged-out pedestal. I couldn’t tell you when and where I got it. Not sure why I got it but I thought it might make a great little table on the porch:

Everything else you see on the porch were also pieces that I had that were not being used.

The last thing I did was go to Lowe’s for plants. I didn’t set out to buy tall palms but it just so happened that they had just marked them down 75%! I bought three of them for $4.50 each! This brings my porch total up to $37.50 and adding my couple cans of $5.00 spray paint probably brought me right at my porch revamp goal of $50.00. Yay! I did it! I rarely do anything under $50.00! Ha!

I’m so glad that I challenged myself to do this revamp for little money. I need to do this more often. Normally I don’t hesitate and just buy new, but this year I am trying to do everything I can to reduce my clutter and get creative and upcycle what I already have that is not being used. Yes, it takes a little bit more time and creativity but it is so worth it in the end!

Now I’m ready for fall on the front porch and I hope it gets here sooner than later!

I hope you all have a wonderful week and thank you as always for your sweet comments, emails and notes! I so appreciate your feedback!

I have something sweet coming up this week, so check back!

Sharing post with these fabulous blog parties here

Also participating the September’s Before and After Party with the fabulous Thrifty Decor Chick!

Savvy Southern Style

This entry was posted in Decorate, DIY, Do It Yourself Projects, Front Porch, Paint Techniques, Room Revamps and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

74 Responses to My $50.00 Front Porch Revamp Challenge…

1. It looks amazing! I'm inspired :-)

2. It looks so good! It's so hot here, I don't even go outside! Maybe I will now!

3. Sherry Smyth says:

Totally inspiring and I love that you found much of these goodies in your "planter cemetery"!!! lol!!! I am a firm believer and fan of spray paint…it works miracles! Your make-over is proof of that!

4. Veronika says:

very pretty! it's so nice to use things you already have to make a statement :)

-veronika

5. Mandy says:

What a great makeover! I love it!

Take Care!
    Mandy

6. Laura Carlson says:

I need you in MN my friend. Your creativity is amazing and I Always love what you do! It looks great!

7. Isabelle says:

Love it! New look with old stuff – can't beat that!

I also like to look around my apartment for things I'm not using and see if they can work outside on my balcony. Makes it feel more like an outdoor room and makes me want to spend time there!

Glad you shared your challenge :)

Isabelle

8. Marie says:

It turned out beautiful! I'm co-hosting a link party and I'd love it if you'd come link up on Wednesday at southernlovely.blogspot.com

See you soon!
    Marie
    mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

9. WOW!! It turned out so beautiful, so inviting..makes me want to do mine now..

10. Awesome makeover! I would love to spruce up my porch. Yours is so inspiring.

11. The Exchange says:

Thank you so much ladies!! You all are invited on the porch for some tea! You all have made my day! Thank you!

12. Surely this heat will turn around soon….it's too hot to live! Great makeover. I think the dark colors really pop against your brick and draw so much attention to the porch. I'll bet it looks great from the street! Where In East Texas are you? I've had family in Henderson, Tyler and Kilgore and I went to school in Nac. It's like old home to me!

13. Can you hear my applause, Seriously I am smiling and clapping. What an awesome change up. I love that you had a planter cemetery, a little giggle when I read that, and serendipitous since they were truly meant to be on your beautiful porch. Cherry on the top the $50 expense. Love it all! Hugs!

14. Chelsea says:

This turned out beautiful! Great job. Love the price tag too.

15. Amanda says:

Cyndy!!! It looks AMAZING!!! Love the chocolate brown & blue. So when can you come over and do mine? Those graveyard plants you hide in your back yard- well mine are on my front porch- for EVERYONE to see *hangs head in shame* Its just so dang hot out-I have no drive to clean em out. Yours looks fab!! girl!

16. thanks for linking to Take-A-Look Tuesday – - I just featured you on my FB page

17. You did an amazing job with that! It looks a lot more expensive than what it really cost. My kind of project!

18. Anna says:

LOVE it!!! You have inspired me!

Anna

P.S. I have those same candle sticks, I never even thought to add a glass cylinder, great idea!

19. feelincrafty says:

Looks great! Love the blue pots!!!

20. DENY Designs says:

Love your post. You really made your outside look like a room inside! So cozy! Thanks for sharing!

21. Shelley says:

That is amaze-balls gorgeous!!! What a great transformation! This is just the kick in the pants I needed to get mine taken care of. Thanks for sharing!

Shelley

22. xinex says:

You did a great job. Your front porch look fabulous!…Christine

23. Lisa says:

I read alot of blogs and shamefully hardly ever comment! I really love everyone! But… LOVE this post! i am feeling like i Must spend some $$ To get an awesome porch however you have totally inspired me. Tomorrow after my ridiculously early work meeting I am going to play out front and make a more welcome greeting for friends, family and the UPS driver!! Love you blog!!

24. I absolutely love your porch redo! Please drop by http://www.decorating-ideas-made-easy.com and share! Just click on YOUR IDEAS! LOVE IT!

25. What an absolutely gorgeous front porch!! I found you through Kim's party and I'm lovin' your blog! You did such a great job transforming the space on a budget and it looks like a million bucks. :-) I'm a new follower now!
    Vanessa

26. Pamma says:

Your challenge turned out perfect! That indigo blue is just beautiful. I am going to have to remember that color.
    And I am with you on the heat…looking forward to Fall.
    ~Pam

27. Your porch looks like it came straight out of the pages of a Pottery Barn Magazine! You did a great job and I love that you challenged yourself to use things you already had. My jaw also dropped when I read how cheap you got your plants for….got get myself to Lowes pronto!

28. Wow! Amazing job! Heading to Lowes to search for that rug! Funny how things work out like they were planned all along. The pillows are great with the rug!

29. Your porch looks fabulous. I love recycling-you have inspired me to go through my bound for the garbage pile!

30. Awesome! Your porch looks wonderful!

31. Tonya says:

You did a great job stretching out that $50 budget! Your front porch looks beatiful! I love the colors you chose!

32. WhyCuzICan says:

Love the $24 striped rug :) All is pretty but that is my fave find of yours for this project :)

Visiting from "Finding Fabulous" Linky Party tonight,
    ~Suzanne in NW Illinois

33. WobiSobi says:

Are you serious!!! This is so beautiful!! Your taste is impeccable. <3
    Anne

34. Erica says:

I love this. So funny, I just redid my deck for $50. I would love if you would join my linky party:

35. Whitney says:

I find it amazing that you had such a transformation for so little money. Great job! I especially love the newly painted planters.

36. Your porch looks lovely and very inviting! Well done.

37. Stephanie says:

The blue makes it! I just saw this on TT&J; link party. I have one of those plant cemeteries too! I laughed when I read that because I thought I was the only one with those lol. I love how you challenged yourself, something I should do. Great job!

38. What a great example of paint revitalization! That blue is great. I'm putting your porch in the PoPP Spotlight this weekend. Thanks for linking up.

39. Lori says:

Great transformation. The power of paint put to work in all your makeovers, beautiful.

40. The Exchange says:

Thank you so much to all of you! Such fun comments and I am so glad that I'm not the only one with a planter cemetery! Pull out those old pots and spray away!
    Have a fantastic weekend and thank you all again so much!

41. It looks so fresh and inviting! I'm with you on being sick of the Texas heat. Anyhoo, found you via Funky Junk Interiors. Pop on in for a visit when you get a moment. Tootles, Kathryn http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2011/08/what-do-you-see.html

42. Absolutely FABULOUS! I love it all…my favorite thing is that candlestick from the junk yard! wonderful!!!

43. Mindo says:

Your porch makeover is super. I really like the way the new color on the bench ties in with the front door.

Your painted on the wall clock and taped cushion covers have inspired me, and I look forward to tying to emulate your success.

44. Everything pulled together so nicely! I do adore the iron candlestand. So different! Came over via Somewhat Simple.

45. Renee says:

I love the makeover. You should share this post on my brand new Saturday link party at http://rustic-crafts.com :)

46. Ruth says:

Amazing job!! The porch looks inviting and comfortable. It's amazing what a little spray paint can transform.

Ruth

47. Just jumped over from tipjunkie….LOVE the inexpensive "re-do's" the best! Yours looks fabulous!

48. Newyorka says:

Wow! It's alive again.! Amazing job!

Hugs for Poland!

49. Pamela says:

Wow!! It looks awesome!!

50. What a fabulous porch and it looks great transformed. I wish I had a place with all that stash to go pull stuff out and paint. Love the blues and browns. What a nice hefty bench from Hob Lob as I call it. Thanks for joining WOW.

51. Beautiful transformation. It was pretty before, but it is stunning now. Hugs, Marty

52. I love the "indigo!" One of my favorite colors!

53. Looks outstanding and sooooo very NIFTY THRIFTY…great price on those palms.

Blessings,
    Linda

54. Pattie says:

Found you over at Kim's blog great porch, I just posted about changing the front porch and colors of the door and shutters… I wish my porch was as big as your.. Great job your newest follower

55. vikki says:

Don't you love it when you can breathe new life into old things? Looks so nice and fresh.

56. marie says:

It's beautiful! Lately I've added a new color to our very khaki home. Turqoise. I love how you used blue. Very pretty and inviting porch!

57. Can you tell me about the moss balls? Those are too cute in that iron vase…

58. Great porch makeover! I love the colors. It looks great.

Benita

59. Mel says:

Totally inviting and I love an inexpensive makeover.

60. Wow, it's absolutely gorgeous!! I would LOVE to have a front porch like that!

61. Alison says:

Very Nice! I am now on the hunt for a great looking bench like yours to be my anchor outdoor piece! Thanks for the great tips!

62. Wow! It looks fantastic!! Thanks for the inspiration to go digging in my "cemetery," and revamp some of the planters I'd left for dead. Came over from TDC, and I'm a new follower :)

63. laurmela says:

Love it! I am working on my mom's patio, I want that rug! Lowe's her I come.

64. Anonymous says:

Love the makeover! Where did you get the fabric for the pillows!Thanks!

Heather

65. The Exchange says:

Hi Heather!

The pillows were from Target that I picked up in the Spring for $12.00! I bought them all when they came out for my back patio area and had two spares! You could check target to see if there are any left. Good luck and thank you!

66. Anonymous says:

That is amazing, I cannot believe it cost $50.00…. Awesome job! I am inspired now to fix up my front porch!

67. broiledsprat says:

I have a question…when you paint your pots, do you paint the inside too? I am surprised the water doesn't seep through and ruin the paint. But fiberglass isn't porous like clay or stone, right? Sorry I don't have a green thumb?

68. Cindy Marshall says:

You have just inspired me to do both my front and back porch, I always put it off because I felt I just couldn’t afford it right now, and now I can,,just need to be inspired,,,and you did!! Thank you

69. Pat says:

I know this was published in 2011, but it was absolutely just what I was looking for…spraying older fiberglass pots. I wasn’t sure it could be done with good results, but you’ve convinced me it is possible!! Thank you…