Transform Old Junk Jewelry with Enamel Spray Paint…

Tutorial for transforming old junk jewelry with spray enamel from The Creativity Exchange
tutorial for transforming old junk jewelry with enamel spray paint from The Creativity Exchange

So I mentioned on Tuesday that I went on spray painting rampage this last weekend and it wasn’t just limited to my front porch furniture revamp. Oh no girl, I sprayed everything that wasn’t moving.  Spray paint is my weakness!

So long story short, I have been loving all of the bright high gloss jewelry and accessories coming out for spring/summer.  I want it all, every color! I had a little spray painting epiphany when I was loading up my basket at Target couple weeks ago as this sea of fun and bright jewelry jumped out at me:

Target Jewelry

target 2

As I looked at the enamel finish on all these baubles at Target, I knew from my experience that enamel spray paint can give the exact same kind of high gloss finish and once it’s dried and hardened, it is indestructible!  I put all of the jewelry back on its hooks and I couldn’t get home fast enough to start spraying!

So let me just show you a few before and after pictures before I jump into the instructions.  I bet you have similar pieces tucked away in a junk box somewhere:

Tutorial for transforming old junk jewelry with enamel spray paint from the creativity exchange

Tutorial for transforming old junk jewelry with enamel spray paint gold

tutorial for transforming oldjunk jewelry with enamel spray paint (rings) from The Creativity Exchange

Oh yeah, Momma has some new jewels!!

I cannot tell you just how easy it is to do this!  And yes, if you use enamel spray paint or if you seal your non enamel spray paint with Rustoleum Clear Gloss Enamel and let it dry for 48 hours, the paint will not chip or flake and it is just as durable as the high gloss jewelry that’s out today!   Again, if you do not use an enamel spray paint, you will have to use to seal the top coat with this:

Rustoleum Crystal Clear Gloss Enamel

There are a few little tricks needed to spray your old junk jewelry that will make the process a lot easier and also ensure that you have the perfect finish.  Below are the instructions to help you with the transforming yours pieces!

Instructions

1) Use scotch tape or plastic wrap to cover any hardware that you don’t want sprayed.  This is good for clasps and hooks or you can cover areas with tape to create a two-toned look like I did:

Tutorial for revamping old junk jewelry with enamel spray paint (The creativity exchange)

2) Prepare the surface of your old jewels by cleaning with soap and hot water. This is especially important with old dingy junk jewelry!

3) For easier spraying, you can hang your jewels by clipping a binder hook to something that you don’t mind that will be painted.  Then drape the jewels over the binder clip:

How to transform old junk jewelry with enamel spray paint

4) It’s really important to prepare the surface by spraying a thin coat of spray primer and let it completely dry (at least an hour):

Transform old junk jewelry with enamel spray paint

5) Spray your first light coat of your colored paint and move the can back and forth quickly while spraying.  Again, just barely cover with this first coat so you don’t get any drips or too much paint on the piece:

Tutorial for transforming old junk jewelry with enamel spray paint

6) After 30-60 minutes, spray a second light coat of your colored paint again, moving quickly and keeping it thin.  Your goal is to lightly layer the color to prevent drips.  If you are spraying a beaded necklace or bracelet, you will need to move the beads around after about an hour to make sure they do not stick:

Tutorial for transforming old junk jewelry with enamel spray paint {The Creativity Exchange}

7)Chances are you will only need two coats. You want as little paint as possible.  Just enough to cover the pieces because too much paint will clump.

If you are not using an enamel spray paint, you will need to wait at least 1-2 hours and then spray a very light coat of the Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel.  Spray another thin coat about 2 hours later.

8) Enamel paints take a very long time to dry/harden.   It will take at least 48 hours for the spray enamel to dry completely.  Once it’s hardened, you will be amazed by how durable the finish is!

I also wanted to share all of the colors that I used to give you some ideas.  My favorite color of all the pieces that I did was the ones done in brushed gold.   Rustoleum Specialty Metallic in “Metallic Gold” is by far, the best gold spray paint on the market and it’s perfect for jewelry revamps because it looks exactly like the color of the brushed gold jewelry on the market today:

Transform old junk jewelry with enamel spray paint {The Creativity Exchange}

Tutorial for transforming old junk jewelry with enamel spray paint

There is a trick to spraying the gold.  Because the Rustoleum Metallic Gold is not an enamel, I had to do seal it with the Crystal Clear Enamel.  When I did that, the metallic part of the gold burnished.  So the trick is to seal it with the Crystal Clear but after an hour or so, lightly, lightly and quickly spray just enough Metallic Gold to get the metallic look again.  This way the finish will be just as durable and still a pretty gold.

The green I used was Rustoleum Gloss Enamel in Fern:

rustoleum fern

Tutuorial for transforming old junk jewelry with enamel spray paint {The Creativity Exchange}
Transform old junk jewelry with enamel spray paint (The Creativity Exchange}

The turquoise was Valspar Gloss in Exotic Sea.  This is not an enamel so I had to seal it with Crystal Clear.  I also think this is the best turquoise color on the market:

The gorgeous light turquoise/sea foam color is Krylon Gloss in Ocean Breeze:

Tutorial for how to revamp old junk jewelry with enamel spray paint {The Creativity Exchange}

If I could have got my hands on a can of Krylon Coral Isle, I would have twice as much new jewelry but there was not a can to be had in my town.  If you can find Coral Isle, that would be a gorgeous color for bangles and beaded necklaces.  This is what Coral Isle looks like:

coral isle

That image came from the fabulous Mandi at one of my favorite blogs Vintage Revivals.

Well have I convinced you to drag out your old junk jewelry?  I sure hope so because it was so fun watching these pieces go from junk to something fabulous and it hardly cost a thing! I’m ready for spring and summer with my great new baubles!

So which piece is your favorite?  I love them all but that gold cross beaded bangle is my favorite.  I can’t wait to wear it and you would never know it was spray painted! Ha!!

Thank you for hanging out with me today and I am skipping Friday Favorites again tomorrow but will be back on my regular schedule next week.

Sharing this post with:
Home Stories AtoZ {Tutorials & Tips Party}
Somewhat Simple {Thanksgiving Link Party}
Skip to My Lou {Made by you Mondays}
Savvy Southern Style {Wow Us Wednesdays}
Shabby Nest {Frugal Friday}
Tatertots & Jello {Weekend Wrap Up Party}
Under The Table Dreaming {Sunday Showcase}

TDC Before and After
This entry was posted in Crafts, Fashion, Jewelry, Spray Paint. Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Transform Old Junk Jewelry with Enamel Spray Paint…

1. katherine shauger says:

Cyndy, I’m so going to do this. Was cruising long necklaces just last night for silver/navy blend, for jeans and jacket. So will spray some of stands darkest navy…. I’m also liking turquoise w/navy. Earrings for sure…. My new fav in baskets is spray painted/dyed bottoms, great look. Thanks again for another fabulous idea Cyndy, love, your ideas….. Katherine in Portland.

Thank you sweet Katherine! I did some long strands of beads in Valspar Indigo Streamer (Navy) that are not pictured and they turned out fabulous! Lowe’s carries Valspar Indigo but it’s not an enamel so be sure and pick up the Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel. I plan on mixing the indigo with the green pieces you see and white and gold. Girl, I’m gonna be blinged out!! You’ll love the Indigo Streamer! Big hugs friend!
      Cyndy recently posted..Transform Old Junk Jewelry with Enamel Spray Paint…My Profile

2. This is incredible! I’m always on the lookout for ways to revamp my jewellery collection (half of which I forget about and end up hardly wearing) so I’m definitely going to be trying this out. I just hope I can get hold of some enamel spray paint just as easily in the UK!
    Thanks for the fab tutorial,
    Ella,
    Little Scarlet Robin

Thanks Ella! I’m sure there are some great enamels in the UK. Seems to be that there is an awesome brand that we can’t get in the states? I can’t remember the name but I think if your checked online, you could find sources. Thank you so much for stopping by!

3. Tanya says:

You are so good with spray paints! Great job done with those tiny pieces. Love the colors too
    Tanya recently posted..Surajkund Craft Fair, IndiaMy Profile

4. Megan says:

What a great idea, Cyndy! I love how all your pieces turned out. Way to think outside of the box. :)
    Megan recently posted..Personalized Cork BoardMy Profile

5. Shemiah says:

This makes my summer! I love trendy jewelry and sometimes buy it often because it’s inexpensive but then of course it does fade or tarnish. I don’t like to be wasteful so this is a perfect solution!!

6. Lee says:

What great makeovers, I am in New Zealand so probably cannot get this exact brand of paint but should be able to get something similar. I plan to use the same idea you have but on a chandelier that I removed from my mums house before I sold it. I think I might either jazz it up with a colour or use a silver spray. At the moment it is a dull gold and won’t really work with my decor, I want to hang it over my breakfast bar.

Thanks for this great post as I can easily follow instructions and cover up the crystal droplets just like you did on the earring fittings.

Lee :)

7. Janet says:

Thanks for the inspiration – I have a box of jewlry that could be updated this way! Do you have a paint recommendation for creating silver jewelry? I’m envisioning a brushed or “aged” silver, not a chrome look.

Thanks Janet! I really don’t like any of the silvers out there. I think you would like the Rustoleum Brillaint Metallics in silver because its more of a brushed silver look and not chrome. Please let me know if you give it a try and what you think of the silver.

8. Traci says:

I have thought of painting some of my older jewelry but I wasn’t quite sure how it would hold up so thank you for all your great tips. I am not sure that I understand which spray paints are the enamel paints? But I think I will be paint some jewelry tomorrow.
    Traci
    Traci recently posted..The Blue ChandieMy Profile

9. I love this idea! I am doing this today!!! Thanks for the idea!!
    Christy@ plantedandbloominggirl.blogspot.com recently posted..Lantern Light FixtureMy Profile

10. Jessie says:

I really like this idea! I was just wondering how you got the stretch bracelet to get such good coverage. Do you need to stretch it while painting it? I am just unclear on how to get in all the nooks and crannies. Thanks for this tutorial!

11. Ilana says:

Hi, thank you for this tutorial! I have a question – can you do this for hardware (clasps and findings and shoe buckles)? I have some that needs to become silver/steel-toned (from gold-toned), and it’s not expensive enough to be worth taking to jeweler for replacement, but keeps me from using them. Would hardware like bracelet clasps still work after being sprayed?

12. Ayla says:

This tutorial is everything! Thanks so much for sharing!

13. Nikki says:

Hi Cyndy,

Can you tell me what gold you used? It’s just what I’m looking for to repurpose old jewelry!

14. Valerie says:

Wonderful info here! Thnx. Can you recommend a product that would duplicate a sterling silver finish? Have been wanting to paint a thrift store bracelet that has a not so nice gold finish but have not figured out how to get that done…i do appreciate the wealth of information on your site. So happy to have come here.

15. Valerie says:

Your site is saving me lots of time & research hours!

16. The Beautifulbeing says:

Cyndy,
    girl you have made my morning!! I knew there was a way to do this. I am so grateful that I found you! I am so hooked on before and afters. I have place your site on my favorites and will be checking with you on the regular to see what you come up with next! You are awesome girl!

17. Jackie says:

Hi Cindy,

Does this work with silver toned jewlry that has lost it’s shine? Have you tried re-paitining using silver?

Thanks!

18. Chrislyn says:

I’m with Jennifer. Is there a “metallic silver” that I can use to transform my faded silver fashion jewelry back to new?

19. Rachel Jones says:

I loved this idea and shared the link on FB but several people commented wondering about the safety of wearing spray paint against your skin. I didn’t know how to answer and I didn’t see where you addressed this on your page so–just wondering how you would answer that concern? Thanks! :)

Most costume jewelry sold today in stores, especially the colored pieces is an enamel finish. Of course, I can’t for sure say whether or not something is toxic to the skin. I guess I would say if you can where all the costume jewelry out there with all the various finishes like enamel, you’re probably ok. However, I cannot say for certainty, so I would not do it if you have any questions. Thanks for sharing Rachel.

20. Cai A says:

Still one question:
    This is great– exactly what I’ve been looking for! I’ve been wanting to refresh the look of some old costume jewelry that used to be “gold” and thought spray paint just might work. I still have one question, though: what sort of primer did you use? Your pieces look awesome– thanks for posting them!

21. Sarah says:

I am going to try this out on some non-metal jewelry. How have your pieces held up?

22. Beka says:

Ooh! Very well done! I love the gradient bracelets!

23. Jawana Jackson says:

Cyndy-I too love spray painting ANYHING!!!! I recently bought a 37 inch circles necklace and I want to re-do it in a gold tone. Can I please send it to you and have you refinish this piece? I will pay you plus any shipping to do the job. It is a very special piece and want it done right. It was a necklace belonging to my mother who passed in November of 2013. As an only child being able to wear the piece that belonged to her would mean so much to me. I was lucky to find someone who is an expert in this area. Thanks for your attention and looking forward to receiving a favorable response. In peace, Jawana

24. Glenna says:

I have a custom order for earrings needing the leaves painted green and I am nervous but going to give it a try. Seems like a lot of layers of paint/product and I’m worried about the smell lingering. Glad I found your post in my search!