Dependable Dark Blue Paint Colors

collection of dependable dark blue paint colors {Color Palette Monday} The Creativity Exchange

Paint color is Stunning by Benjamin Moore. Sway Studio Designs

Today, I thought I would share a great collection of dependable dark blue paint colors paint colors that are rich in depth and look amazing in almost any space.

I frequently receive questions from readers looking for the perfect dark blue color, whether it’s an indigo or navy,  these darker shades of blue are really popular right now (and have been for awhile). The right shade of dark blue can infuse a richness and character instantly into a room and it’s one of my favorite paint trends today and it’s also one of the prettiest colors to paint on furniture, cabinets or a kitchen island.

So this week, I have researched dark blues and have come up with a palette of some of the most popular dark blues.  The wrong shade of blue can go too blue or even purplish and I wanted to stick with those colors that consistently seem to work in a variety of lighting situations. It’s still important to try a sample in the space with the lighting in the space as a precaution!

So let’s take a closer look at this week’s palette:

Probably the most popular and most used dark blue from this week’s color palette is Hale Navy from Benjamin Moore.  Molly from the beautiful blog The Nesting Game  did an amazing job in her home using this nearly perfect navy:

Source: The Nesting Game

Source: The Nesting Game

Source: The Nesting Game

Source: The Nesting Game

Hale Navy is also one of the most popular  colors being used to paint furniture, cabinets and kitchen islands.  You can see why in this fabulous kitchen designed by Sealy Design on Houzz:

One of my favorite designer’s on the planet, Michael Abrams, who is known for picking amazing paint colors, used Hale Navy for this amazing office that he designed:

Another dark blue that is extremely popular and used a lot by designers is Old Navy by Benjamin Moore:

Next up is my favorite from today’s color palette and it’s more of a dark blue gray and it really has such a rich depth to it.  It’s the beautiful Gibraltar by Sherwin Williams:

Source: Designer Kirsty Froelich via Decor Pad

Source: Designer Kirsty Froelich via Decor Pad

Evening Dove by Benjamin Moore is another dark blue gaining popularity thanks to West Elm using it in their catalog:

Source: West Elm

Source: West Elm

Another great dark blue is Stunning by Benjamin Moore.  I loved how designer/blogger Emily A. Clark  used it as an accent wall and on the back of her book shelves:

Source: Emily A Clark

Source: Emily A Clark

Source: Emily A. Clark

Source: Emily A. Clark

You can really see just how “stunning” Benjamin Moore Stunning is on this beautiful wall from Sway Studio.

Paint color is Stunning by Benjamin Moore. Sway Studio Designs

For a good trim, cabinet or ceiling color, Decorator’s White by Benjamin Moore is a safe bet paired with darker shades of blue:

I hope you see a color here today that jumps out at you.  Have you used a dark blue in your home or would you consider it?  Of course after seeing these beautiful spaces, I’m very tempted!  What do you think?

If you see a color that is close but is too dark or light, you can always pick up a paint color card of these colors and look at all the darker or lighter shade on the paint card.  Again, please keep in mind that lighting can drastically change a paint color and what looks safe on a color card may have a crazy hue that jumps out in certain lighting situations.

Thanks so much for hanging out with me for another Color Palette Monday! Do you have a favorite color that’s jumping out at you today?  I would love to hear which one is your favorite.   By the way, if you missed last week’s palette, which was a nice collection of transitional colors, you can get to that post by clicking the palette below:

Transitional Paint Color Palette {Color Palette Monday #3} The Creativity Exchange

One last thing, if you’re looking for some help in how to pick the perfect color in a space with the lighting, you can check out my post “Tips and Tricks for Choosing the Perfect Paint Color” by clicking the image below:

Tips & Tricks to Choosing the Perfect Paint Color {Friday Favorites} The Creativity Exchange}

Have a great week friends!!

This entry was posted in Color Palette Monday, color palettes, Paint Colors and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Dependable Dark Blue Paint Colors

1. Christine says:

Hi – would you use this dark blue in a dining room? I have a 13×13 room with a vaulted ceiling.

Absolutely! I think the dining room is a great spot for the dark blue and I have seen it done a lot lately. It helps if you can lighten it up with pops of white in upholstery/slip covered chairs and white accents. I love the dark blue/white and gold mix and I think it’s perfect for the dining room. Thanks for stopping by Christine!

2. Megan says:

I haven’t used dark blue before, but I’m considering using some sort of navy in a room redo I’m pulling together right now. I love the look of that island. So pretty! Thanks for sharing all this info, Cyndy. I definitely pinned this post.
    Megan recently posted..Mother’s Day FrameMy Profile

3. Shirley Johnstone says:

Love Navy! My initial reaction was that I want Old Navy cabinets in my kitchen, but then I saw the kitchen with Hale Navy cabinets, and I think I might REALLY LIKE the softer navy. Thanks for another great colour palette!

4. Margo says:

Hi there,

Love the information on your site. Am also loving the old navy and hale navy…Now the hard question…am painting a two-story open concept home (living room up to loft, dining, kitchen and hall) and would like to use one of the navy for accent walls…what is the suggested neutral for the “big walls?” I have maple hardwood throughout and also maple cupboards in “gingerbread” colour. I want to move to a “cooler” pallette for paint, as I think the wood will carry the warm elements. My furniture is mostly taupe-hence neutral, and a lot of other wood accents, a mix of antiques and arts/crafts style. I also have some modern elements like white floating shelves on the big wall. We’ve nice trim in a lovely shade of white, and I’m looking to make some new roman blinds. I really need help and soon. I’m not afraid of colour, but getting our place painted is a huge undertaking and I’ve got to live with the choice for at least 5-7 years.

Thank you!
    Margo

5. Andrew Mcnally says:

Hey there! Someone in my Facebook group shared this site with us so I came to look it over. I’m definitely loving the information. I’m book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers! Terrific blog and brilliant design.

6. Jennifer says:

I used a dark blue (mountain blue slate) on my lower cabinets in my kitchen, and I love it! One small detail was choosing upper cabinet color (want a white, I think) and a wall color. I had time, I wasn’t going to sweat it, but now I’m there.

Would it make sense to use the same color for trim and the upper cabinets? Got a couple suggested whites if I’d like a neutral wall color? This is tougher than I thought….

7. Nichole says:

I want to paint my accent wall Hale navy in my nursery. Do you have a suggestion of a gray that would go well on the other walls? Thanks!

8. Laura says:

I’ve done a furniture piece in dark blue and plan to do more.

9. Amanda says:

I am planning to paint my husbands mancave Old Navy with decorator’s white trim. This room has a large window so I am not concorned about lighting. However there is a bathroom near this room and I am trying to tie it in with the mancave. I was thinking about painting the bathroom sink cabinet and wooden medicine cabinet Old Navy and the walls Gibraltar with decorator’s white trim. This bathroom has no windows so I’m worried about it being dark and using to many colors. Then my other thought was to paint walls Gibraltar. Then painting the trim and cabinets decorator’s white. Then just add accents of Navy with a shower curtain and other bathroom decor. What are your thoughts?