Master Bedroom Reveal {Room Revamp of the Month}…

Master Bedroom Revamp- The Creativity Exchange- Interior Decorating- DIY- Ideas

Well..,  I finally finished my master bedroom revamp/update project. I know it was more like “Room Revamp of the Month- Plus One Week”! It’s been a fun project and I am so excited with how everything turned out.

For those that may not know, over the last month {and one week}, I have been updating and revamping my master bedroom and sharing the projects and product sources along the way this last month.

This is the “before” picture of my master bedroom when 5 weeks ago:

Master Bedroom

and here is how it looks today:

Interior Design- Redecorate- Revamp- Instructions- DIY- Ideas- Master Bedroom

Master Bedroom Revamp- Interior Design- DIY- Ideas

Master Bedroom Revamp- Interior Design- Decorating-DIY- Ideas

Kind of a big change, huh?

We are really happy with the transformation and love how we were able to lighten up the room and update the space {our main goals}.  While I liked my bedroom to begin with, the color was too dark for me, it needed to be updated and we needed new carpet.  I decided to finally spend the time and make it exactly what I we wanted.  I also wanted to finally deal with the strange and super narrow windows that had bothered me for more than a decade.

Master Bedroom
I was happy {and relieved} that the wall color was exactly what I had in my mind, especially when I finally finished the room and incorporated the art, bedding and new fabrics.  I always sweat wall colors until the very end of a project.  For the wall color, I had the guys at Home Depot mix (50/50) Behr “Stone Fence” with Behr “Rhino”.  A big thank you to all of you on The Creativity Exchange Facebook page for helping me choose the final paint color!

Here are my paint and fabric color palettes that I used for the room:

Interior Design- Bedroom Color Palette- Bedroom Fabrics

I have to say that what I love the most about this project is that I was able to do the whole revamp pretty inexpensively, since I did all of the art work, sewing projects and upholstery work myself.  I didn’t set out to do everything myself and only planned on a few DIY projects.  Initially, I didn’t plan on doing my own wall art and upholstery projects.

I couldn’t find the right art for the walls that I had in mind with navy, white and gold, so I gold leafed ocean elements on navy card stock and framed them with over-sized white mats to help lighten the room:

DIY Wall Art- Instructions- Gold Leaf- How
Bedroom- Wall Art- DIY- Instructions-How

Bedroom- Revamp- DIY- Interior Design- Decorating- Ideas

Last week, I shared the tutorial for how to gold/silver leaf on card stock here if you want to learn more about how to do this easy project.

I also didn’t plan on doing my own upholstery work on the accent chair and bench but I just thought I would give it a try myself.  How hard can it be, right?? Um… Hard! In the spirit of being a true DIY’er, I made myself do it. At least once {I said to myself}…

So at least once, I recovered a Parson’s style chair for a little accent chair next to my nightstand:

Reupholster Parson's Chair- DIY- Instruction- Accent Chair

and I also recovered my bench at the end of my bed {I spray painted the legs}:

Bench-

The bench I would do again but a chair or anything else, I’m pretty sure I would run as fast as I could to my local upholsterer.  It’s worth every penny!

Recovering Parson’s style chairs are a really inexpensive way (mine was $99.00) to add a pop of pattern and color into a room and there are several ways to recover them including upholstering only the front, like I did.  I shared the easier alternatives, plus my tips for how to recover a Parson’s chair here.

I also decided to go with an upholstered navy velvet pelment over my super narrow windows because I knew I could make the windows look wider by covering the top window sill/molding and making the pelmet longer than the window and concealing the wall with drapes.  I was so inspired by this spectacular upholstered pelmet that I ran across several weeks ago on Pinterest from Sheffield Furniture:

Pelmet- Upholstered Pelmet- Interior Design- Window Treatment

Source: Sheffield Furniture

Here’s how mine turned out:
Pelmet- Upholstered- DIY- Velvet

Yea, mine are not as fabulous as Sheffield’s but I’m thinking it looks a little better than the narrow windows at least?

The pelmet project was pretty easy {I did have help}.  Not only did the pelmet address my window issue but I was able to get another pop of the navy and silver on my wall in unique way.  The linen drapes helped balance/soften the sleek/modernness of the pelmets and the space.  I will be doing a tutorial of how to make a basic upholstered pelmet next week.

Oh and by the way, the lamps came from Target:

Target-Lamp

I had searched high and low and really wanted mercury glass that had both gold and silver because I wanted to mix metals in the room.  I ended up finding them at Target for $54.00!  I also mixed metals with my framed art.  I framed out the gold leaf with shinny silver frames.  I love the look of gold and silver together after so many years of faithfully following the no mixing metals law. I feel so liberated!

If you’re thinking about revamping your bedroom and are looking for ideas and paint color inspiration, you can go to this post here that I did a few weeks ago where I shared all kinds of great bedrooms and paint colors. Before you buy any bedding, you may also want to look back at my post that I did a few weeks ago about where to find inexpensive and beautiful bedding here.

I still have a few smaller projects that I’ll be finishing up in the room and I will post them when they’re ready.  I’m also moving on to this month’s Revamp of the Month, which is going to be a much smaller space.  I need to get back on track here.

Thanks so much for hanging out with me today!

Sharing this post with:
Home Stories AtoZ {Tutorials & Tips Party}
Somewhat Simple {Thanksgiving Link Party}
Skip to My Lou {Made by you Mondays}
Savvy Southern Style {Wow Us Wednesdays}
Shabby Nest {Frugal Friday}
Tatertots & Jello {Weekend Wrap Up Party}
Under The Table Dreaming {Sunday Showcase}

TDC Before and After
This entry was posted in Art, Bedroom, Decorate, DIY, Do It Yourself Projects, Home Decorating Ideas, Revamp of the Month, Revamp Projects, Room Revamps and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Master Bedroom Reveal {Room Revamp of the Month}…

1. OK, you know how much I love the framed series (I already commented on them)- they are divine, and the table lamps – what a find. Honestly, I think they are way more chic than mercury glass for the space. BUT, now that I’m seeing the entire room of the “After.” I have to say the window treatments you selected TOTALLY transformed those windows (and the entire room for that matter). If I ever have a client who doubts the importance of window treatments in a space (and what they can do for a window), I’m showing them these images!!! One of the best before and afters I’ve seen in awhile!!! great job. M.
    Mandi Smith T recently posted..More Exciting News – Village LivingMy Profile

Thank you so much Mandi! Your note made my morning! I’m so glad that you like how everything came together.

I was really sweating the pelmets. I could see it in my my head and knew if I could do it just right, it had the potential of becoming a focal point in the room. When the boxes went up without the drapes, I was nervous and my hubby was scratching his head and I kept telling him to trust me (ha!). The second the drapes went up, I was relieved. It did exactly what I had hoped it would do. Sometimes what’s in our head and on paper does not translate when all is said and done. Thank goodness it worked… (this time!)…

Thank you again Mandi!!
      Cyndy recently posted..Master Bedroom Reveal {Room Revamp of the Month}…My Profile

2. Lisa says:

Beautiful! I could not wait for the reveal! The windows are fabulous!

3. Robbie says:

Cyndy – Wow! I followed your revamp, eagerly awaiting ‘the next layer’ to be revealed – love everything!!
    Once again, I want to say how much you inspire me and others! You bring creativity and excitement with your enthusiasm!
    Congrats! Now, I can’t wait for the next room!
    Robbie

4. Beverly says:

Your room makeover is beautiful! Thank you so much for the pelmet idea – I have a different type of weird window in my master. I found your blog through pinterest and have been following for a while – you are a great inspiration! Thank you!

5. louise says:

Looks great! I love how adding the curtains makes it look like your windows are so much larger!
    louise recently posted..Modernista HomeMade Swap, Received!My Profile

6. Deb says:

I love your new master bedroom. Love all the colors you chose. Don’t you kinda feel like you moved into another home?? Of course, minus the moving van.
    Keep all your great posts coming!!
    Deb recently posted..Shhhhh! We Have Skeletons in our ClosetsMy Profile

7. Jae says:

What a huge difference the window treatments made! You did a great job.
    Jae recently posted..Fall UpdateMy Profile

8. Lisa says:

This is such a beautiful room. You really are so creative. This is probably my favorite blog! I know I don’t comment often but your creativity astounds me! Keep up the lovely work!

9. Jaime says:

Your bedroom looks so much warmer, and cozier. I love your style. Lovely!

10. Jen says:

Your idea for the windows totally transformed the room, what a fantastic idea! I love the new look! I’m in the middle of working on our master as well, so far I’ve got the accent wall painted, but at least it’s a start!
    Jen recently posted..20 Minute Thanksgiving Mantel + TutorialMy Profile

11. Ruth says:

Your bedroom looks fabulous. Great job!! I love the wall art and fabrics.
    Ruth recently posted..Crochet Flower EmbellishmentsMy Profile

12. Jan says:

I love the entire new look. At first I thought the wall color may have been a bit too blue-ish, but after seeing it in your photographs, it is much more neutral and not so cold as blue. That’s important in a bedroom, I think. One does not want to sleep in a cold room! I think, best of all, your solution to your narrow window problem (they look like windows out of a 12th century castle!) was excellent! You tripled the width of your windows using your clever strategy. Well done, a beautiful, comfy, cozy, with touches of glam room, just the right balance.

13. Wow! I am amazed to see your bedroom its really beautiful!!

14. So pretty! Love the colors and the details and your solution for those skinny little windows is absolutely perfect! Good for you for finishing up this room … I’ve been dragging my heels on getting my very own master done!

Thanks for the inspiration — and for lighting a fire under my project!

Linda
    Linda @ it all started with paint recently posted..license plate mirrorMy Profile

15. Ron says:

Your redo is awesome. I love the colors. My favorite part are the window transformations.

16. Sherry Hart says:

When I saw those windows I was amazed at how you addressed them. Brilliant. The whole room looks awesome!
    Sherry Hart recently posted..SCOTT’S DECEMBERMy Profile

17. Paula says:

What a great transformation! I really love the fabric on the chair, in the right side of your room. The window dressings really add height and width to the appearance of your windows, too! Stopping by from the Southern Hospitality link up. It’s so nice to “meet” you!
    Paula

18. Barb D says:

So glad I found you on Pinterest! My bedding is the same color scheme as your “chevron” post, and when I saw the wall color, I knew it would be perfect–already have grey carpet and cherry furniture. I searched til I found your color; am gonna go buy it and start painting!! Thanks again!

How awesome Barb!! I’m so glad you found me and I’m glad that you think the paint color will work for you. A little caution, I have a lot of natural light in my master so if you do not, the color may be a tad to dark. You can have the guys at home depot add white if you want to lighten it. We are so in love with the color. Thank you so much for stopping by Barb and I would love to hear what you decide to do.

19. Hi Cyndy,

I’d love to pin this makeover to The Home Depot All About Paint pinboard if you don’t mind!

Thanks,
    Caroline
    Caroline @ The Home Depot recently posted..YouTube Thursday: Deck Maintenance TipsMy Profile

Why I would LOVE it Caroline! I almost called the post my Home Depot bedroom makeover! Thank you so much for pinning and stopping by. Love Home Depot!

20. Maureen says:

I just found your blog and am really enjoying your work! Love the gold leaf art you made! My question is about the mats. I love theses oversized mats. They are so elegant and do lighten up the space. Did you cut the mats yourself? I have had mats cut at Michael’s and they have been super expensive. Any tips for me? I would love to try to duplicate your idea. I have also been looking for inexpensive white frames and mats to frame a series of my children’s Christmas photos over the years. Any suggestions? Keep up the good work! Thanks!