La Madelaine’s Tomato-Basil Soup Recipe {Healthy Version}…

If you have ever had the pleasure of eating at a La Madelaine’s Restaurant you have probably had a cup (or many) of their famous tomato-basil soup. If you’ve never been to a La Madelaine’s and have never heard anything about the soup,  it is absolutely out of this world and in my opinion one of the best soups I have ever tasted… EVER!

What makes La Madelaine’s tomato-basil soup so incredible is the super rich creamy taste. The soup at the restaurant is so rich that I can only handle a small cup.  Of course that amazing rich creamy taste is created by using tons of heavy cream and all that good stuff that’s not necessarily so good for my 2012 new diet.   So in honor of 2012 resolutions to eat healthier, I thought I would share this recipe for the healthy lower fat version that was shared with me years ago by my friend Ginny. I have made Ginny’s recipe hundreds of times and I still cannot believe how easy and delicious it is knowing that it is made with buttermilk and tomato juice and not heavy cream and fresh tomatoes.  It blows me away how close this recipe is to the original soup and I thought I would share it with you today.

Tomato-Basil Soup (La Madalaine’s) Healthy Version

Ingredients; (SERVES 4)

1 Tb. margarine
1/2 C. chopped onion
1/2 C. chopped green bell pepper
1/2 tsp. dried basil
2 C. tomato juice
1 C. buttermilk

1) In a medium saucepan, saute chopped onion bell peppers in margarine until tender. (Yes, I sneaked and used real butter in the picture above)! It’s real important that you are exact on your onion and pepper measurements. A little too much of one or the other can alter the end taste.

2) Stir in remaining ingredients and turn off heat.

3) Transfer to blender (in several batches) and puree until you get it as smooth as you can. I used my nifty new “Smart Stick” hand blender that I am now able to puree right in the soup pan! This thing is incredible and everyone should have one:

4) Return to saucepan and heat until warm. DO NOT LET BOIL.. Buttermilk cannot be boiled and will separate and curdle like if boiled. I have learned this the hard way a couple times by not watching my pot. You only need to warm it up.

I have served this soup with all kinds of different panini sandwiches or toasted french bread. This is also a great recipe to use for a luncheon or a brunch. This last Christmas, I made batches of this soup and poured in mason jars and gave as gifts with a note to refrigerate immediately and to not boil.

Well friends, I hope you have a wonderful rest of the week and I’ll be back soon with a fun project.

Sharing this post with these fabulous blogs here

Wow us Wednesdays!!

This entry was posted in Food, Recipes, Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to La Madelaine’s Tomato-Basil Soup Recipe {Healthy Version}…

1. Missy says:

This will be tomorrow night’s dinner! I’m also going to be the hand mixer that you recommend. I’ve been wanting one so late Merry Christmas to me!

Oh I know you will love it Missy! You will LOVE the hand mixer, I cannot believe I have waited this long to get one! A word of advice, I do not recommend using the chopper accessory for chopping the vegi’s! It chops it too fine and it changed the taste for me. I think have larger size chopped vegi’s that are properly sauteed until tender makes the recipe better if that makes sense. Enjoy your dinner tomorrow!

2. Deb says:

I love La Madelaine’s tomato soup! We moved to Tulsa from Houston and sadly we don’t have La Madelaine’s here! Poor me- we don’t have near the shopping that I am used to. But anywho – tomato soup and a grilled cheese make me super happy girl!!!
    Thanks so much for this recipe!!

3. Katie says:

Thanks for coming by to share your soup recipe at the recipe swap. Have a good day!

4. tomato and basil they are such a wonderful combination. yum xo

5. Paula Pierce says:

This looks delicious. Its a gray chilly day here and even just looking at your photo makes me feel more cozy. Can’t wait to try the soup!

6. Wow, this sounds fabulous, I will have to try it. I’ve never heard La madelaines- it sounds like I’m missing out!

7. Maria says:

Thanks so much for your comment on my Valentine’s tree! I’m your newest follower – this soup looks so delicious!!!! This is my favorite kind of soup, but I’ve never tried making it at home – love this recipe though!

8. Ellen says:

Oh yes! I brought home a jar of LaMadelaine’s tomato basil soup once. That’s when I discovered it had 30 grams of fat per serving! Information I wished I didn’t have, but it was too late to turn back. Can’t wait to try this out. Pinteresting!

9. Lacey Krop says:

Cyndy,

Could I feature this post on my blog? Like a guest blog from you? I’m in love with this soup, and would love to post it for my readers! :)

10. Lacey Krop says:

Great! I’ll set it up for sometime this week! :)